1991 GSXR 750 BST38 Super Rich.

alocker

On 4/11/2022 at 7:48 AM, beardo said:

I was got my current Bandit back at the turn of the year. Original owner had the carbs off, cleaned them. Didn't pull the brass plugs. So, I get where you are coming from.

I was in the same boat as you with your GS1000. I put the bike back together. Fired right up. The bike had been sitting for many years prior. I have to admit though, the more miles I get to put on, the more 'broken in' it feels.

As for what could cause weak spark. Lots of things. From the battery itself, to bad grounds (earth) to faulty components. Maybe time to break out the multi-meter and start going through the basics. 

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the particular bike itself can make some suggestions.

I will do some basic electrical checks before the next run.  It could be kinda weak due to the starter cranking, not sure though.  

I performed a leakdown test with my wonky Harbor Freight tool.  It's known to work kinda weird so I figured out how to do a simple differential test.  I set the gauge to 61 PSI before connecting.  When you connect the difference in pressure is your percent.  It drops 3-4 PSI depending on the cylinder.  58PSI / 61 PSI =.95 or 5% leakdown.  At a 4psi drop its about 7%.  These numbers don't seem terrible for a cold, dry, and stagnant motor.  

I have genuine Mikuni 30 Pilot jets in the mail that will be installed.  I'm going to button everything up and see if I can put a few miles on it and hopefully don't get stranded:)

4 hours ago, alocker said:

I'm going to button everything up and see if I can put a few miles on it and hopefully don't get stranded:)

Take a spare set of plugs with you. I'm having a similar rich issue with my 7/11 at the moment, and ended up having to push the thing home when it fouled all the plugs the other day.

6 hours ago, WAZRS257 said:

Take a spare set of plugs with you. I'm having a similar rich issue with my 7/11 at the moment, and ended up having to push the thing home when it fouled all the plugs the other day.

That's some sage advice. Used to carry extra plugs with me at all times when I used to ride *ahem* another brand...

I am super stoked to say I can leave this thread as SOLVED!!!!!  There are so many of these that just end.  You hear about guys selling bikes in situations like this where the answer is just never found.

My last ditch effort was to try one step smaller pilot jet.  I ordered them from Moto-lab out of Iowa USA that only sells genuine Mikuni parts.  I went to swap them out and immediately noticed the 32.5 jets were the bleed style.  After looking more closely, I saw a huge difference in the orifice size.  My math states that the difference between a 30 and a 32.5 should be .001" or .004mm, you can see its more than that.  

I installed them and it fixed the issue.  Nice idle, responding to the screws (might need to go one step up to a 32.5, imagine that) and now I have a nice idle and good response.  

There are tons of posts on the internet stating you can interchange bleed style and non bleed style pilot jets.  This is absolutely incorrect.  Either Mikuni rates them different or the 32.5's in the carbs originally are fake.  My suspicion is they might have come from the factory hence the fully closed and plugged pilot screws.  

I want to give a huge thanks to all the member who took the time to help.  Same to Derek at Moto-lab, he was the one who said it's not worth the time to re-use a pilot jet when overhauling a carb.  Get the right parts and save yourself a boatload of time unlike me:)  

IMG_20220415_221552595.jpg

IMG_20220415_172501114.jpg

IMG_20220415_172429943.jpg

IMG_20220415_172338137.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, beardo said:

Help me out here, for my own bank of knowledge. Which one was in there (causing you all the issues) and which is the one that's supposed to be in there? 

And you are right, so glad to see a problem, and thread, resolved rather than just end flat.

The ones with the side holes are not correct.  Factory BST carbs come with the jet with NO HOLES.  There are 3 styles of this pilot jet for Mikuni CV carbs and they will all fit perfectly.  They just don't perform the same.  You also don't know if you have a fake with the wrong size.  They could also be drilled.  

There is a fair amount of info online stating they are interchangeable.  I can tell you with 100% certainty they are not in this application.  Just get genuine Mikuni stock replacements and don't let anyone sell you otherwise.    

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a chance to ride it this week and I'm so glad I didn't give up on this thing.  I'm amazed at how well it fuels.  It's as good as fuel injection except for cold starts.  Zero bog or flat spot anywhere.  Pull from 1500 in any gear without bogging.  This is stock air filter, airbox, OEM Mikuni 117.5 mains, 30 pilots, Factory Pro 1.5 needles and Power Jets.  Maybe I can squeeze more power out of it on the dyno but it's just not worth the hassle or money.  It's fantastic street bike for 31 year old technology.  Long live the boiler!!!

• Like 3
18 hours ago, alocker said:

I got a chance to ride it this week and I'm so glad I didn't give up on this thing.  I'm amazed at how well it fuels.  It's as good as fuel injection except for cold starts.  Zero bog or flat spot anywhere.  Pull from 1500 in any gear without bogging.  This is stock air filter, airbox, OEM Mikuni 117.5 mains, 30 pilots, Factory Pro 1.5 needles and Power Jets.  Maybe I can squeeze more power out of it on the dyno but it's just not worth the hassle or money.  It's fantastic street bike for 31 year old technology.  Long live the boiler!!!

good to hear its running well

do you remember what size power jets they are?

On 4/26/2022 at 2:49 PM, Upshotknothole said:

Not gonna get that much more power out of it on a dyno with the air box and stock exhaust on it. It’s nice to see an all original survivor from time to time here in the states. Glad you got it sorted. 

Yeah, not looking to go crazy hear.  I only put the carb kit in because they were off the bike.  I also wanted to put in the extended pilot screws.  If I want to really go fast I would just buy a modern 1000, those days are behind me though.  I've always been a mod guy but I really appreciate this bike in stock condition.  You literally have to go to a museum like Barber to see one.  You occasionally see a Slabby riding around or for sale but rarely a Slingshot.  The local used bike place had an 89 750 in the showroom.  NOT FOR SALE though.  Stock/original has is pluses.  My garage has a faint smell of a bike dealership which makes me smile.  You loose that when you restore anything.  

On 4/27/2022 at 1:39 AM, fab said:

good to hear its running well

do you remember what size power jets they are?

They are 62.5.  Tiny little guys, you can barely see the holes.  

Edited by alocker
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 4/26/2022 at 1:50 PM, alocker said:

HI,
I read the whole thread; glad you solved it.
Now I just wanted to know: did you also lower the level in the bowls to 1.5mm above the closing surface or did you keep it at 5mm?

Thanks

On 1/21/2024 at 9:10 AM, Diego_1100R said:

HI,
I read the whole thread; glad you solved it.
Now I just wanted to know: did you also lower the level in the bowls to 1.5mm above the closing surface or did you keep it at 5mm?

Thanks

They haven't been around here in almost 2 years, doubt you'll get an answer from them.