Gs750 swing arm pivot

Kevref

Hi all i am finally making progress in my knowledge of what bits to swap etc to make a more up to date ride on a classic GS

so i am going with a GS750 (1977) frame .. 

start question for this is , can you advise is the swing arm pivot diameter the same as the bandit swing arm ? 
thanks 

Just looking on the bay b6 are the same as b12 20mm ?

So ever a top hat or a sleeve/tube to reduce the swing arm bearing size down to 15mm or drill out the frame pivot holes to 20mm.

I go for the sleeve way ;) if you don't need a small spacer each side of the swing arm if so then go for top hats.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Kevref said:

Tony where did you get the reducing sleeves made up? I presume the b12 pivot is the same size as the b6 … 20mm?

i got some ally tube of b/gay,  i managed to find some with an OD of 20mm and an ID of 15mm for my gsx750.  and yeah B6 and B12 use the same size spindle. 

by the way its just one length right through the swingarm. 

Edited by TonyGee
1 minute ago, Kevref said:

Thanks Tony , what length sleeves did you go with in the end ?

I just bought a metre length and cut it the same width of the swinger. i think it was about £8 !!!  the spindle fitted perfect in the tube but the tube was a bit tight in the swingarm bushes, but a bit of a rub down at each end with some fine emery it fitted perfect.  :tu  

i did it as a temporary fix on the dry build but my mate has a 400 katana with a 1200 bandit engine in and he did the same thing, 12.000 miles later and its still in with no play what so ever. 

4 minutes ago, Kevref said:

Ok! Was wondering actually about possible wear as its aluminium ?

yeah so was I, but my mate is a big lad and he rides hard and its held up so far, the bearing doesn't ride on it as its still on the OEM bush/spacer, its just holding the swingarm in line.  plus its no biggy if it needs replacing down the road. or get a steel/stainless one made. 

Edited by TonyGee
58 minutes ago, Kevref said:

Tony just seen that you said 

the bearing doesn't ride on it as its still on the OEM bush/spacer, its just holding the swingarm in line. 
can you clarify ?

How are the bearings put to use with the 15mm pivot ? 

the needle roller bearings fit into the ends of the swingarm, then the bushes sit inside the bearings with a long spacer inbetween them, then the spindle sits inside them. :tu

the bushes and the spindle are fixed to the frame so dont move at all, its the swinger that mover round them.

Edited by TonyGee