1200 clutch issues

Anyone to please point me in the right direction with a strange issue with my bandit 12?

Every time I leave it standing for a lengthy time period the hydraulics operating the clutch take in air from somewhere, I've checked for leaks and there doesn't appear to have any to and including the slave cylinder. I bleed the system and all is well. When I use the bike on a regular basis there's no problem, anyone else had this problem?

10 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

sounds like your master or slave cylinder needs a rebuild.  i did away with all that shite and went to a B6 cable set up. it feels much better :tu

Cheers Tony,I get it that something is letting in air but I'd have thought there would be hydraulic fluid leaking if that was the case? What's your thoughts? 

The b6 clutch operating system sounds like an option but won't be considering that until winter.

Edited by eddiegsx

I had a similar fault with a fancy red italian bike. It was caused by the clutch actuation rod bearing seizing so the rod span when the engine ran and this caused the clutch fluid to boil. My guess is many bikes have a 2 part rod with a small bearing inbetween to prevent the rod from spinning, although the problem I had was obviously down to corrosion in a dry clutch that cannot occur in wet clutches. If all else fails it may therefore pay to check your rods and plungers to make sure nothing is stuck :)

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Dezza said:

I had a similar fault with a fancy red italian bike. It was caused by the clutch actuation rod bearing seizing so the rod span when the engine ran and this caused the clutch fluid to boil. My guess is many bikes have a 2 part rod with a small bearing inbetween to prevent the rod from spinning, although the problem I had was obviously down to corrosion in a dry clutch that cannot occur in wet clutches. If all else fails it may therefore pay to check your rods and plungers to make sure nothing is stuck :)

Gettin complicated now Dezza:(

The trouble is this theory can't explain away the fact of when I bleed the system at the slave cylinder bubbles of air can be seen for a good while up until the clutch is fully engaging and doing its job, then I have no trouble again provided I don't leave it standing for a few months, really strange.

• Like 1

the slave cylinder can get pretty crapped up where it lives, i think a clean up and a new seal is in order. if no better then its down to the master cylinder. then a B6 cable conversion :D   imo the cable has a better feel than a hydraulic set up, plus it can be easily adjusted while you are riding.  

• Like 1