Mucho problemo's with my sons Impulse.

This bike stood for about two years and needed some work.

So i did valveclearence, ultrasone the carbs, new needles and seats, new pilotjets. Adjusted floatheight checked compression wich is just above the limit. Inletrubbers checked also they are fine.

I have some problems with it.

Yes it starts direct on the button but only runs perfect idle once it warms up a bit It starts only without the choke if you pull the choke it stalls.

I did a testride and it runs very good once warm. But if you let it stall it does not want to start, only if you start long enough it comes up again with hesitation.

If it's cold it start's much better.

I checked the plugs they where burnt clean not Black so looks very lean.

So i think it runs very rich cold and once warm it runs very lean.

I checked everything on the bike and kind on in the dark here.

What am i missing ??

3 hours ago, Leblowski said:

Mucho problemo's with my sons Impulse.

This bike stood for about two years and needed some work.

So i did valveclearence, ultrasone the carbs, new needles and seats, new pilotjets. Adjusted floatheight checked compression wich is just above the limit. Inletrubbers checked also they are fine.

I have some problems with it.

Yes it starts direct on the button but only runs perfect idle once it warms up a bit It starts only without the choke if you pull the choke it stalls.

I did a testride and it runs very good once warm. But if you let it stall it does not want to start, only if you start long enough it comes up again with hesitation.

If it's cold it start's much better.

I checked the plugs they where burnt clean not Black so looks very lean.

So i think it runs very rich cold and once warm it runs very lean.

I checked everything on the bike and kind on in the dark here.

What am i missing ??

Have you tried some new spark plugs in it? The 400's are terrible for plugs going off and affecting running, particularly idle and when warm. You will see a spark at the plug but they go weak really easy. After having similar issues with a bandit 4 years ago and wasting days going over everything else, its always the 1st thing I try when my 400's start running shit

same engine as the 400 katana, carbs are a bit of a nightmare. you need to replace every o ring in there and make sure the needles in the slides arent worn, (they get ridges in them and never fuel properly again. its also worth pulling the ht leads out of the coils, cut a half inch off the ends and refit, they vibrate loose and loose contact making them run a bit rough.

• Like 1