B12 alternator fitting

Gsx1100er

Don't force it, if it doesn't just push in with a firm hand then you need to rotate the engine to get the gears to mesh before pushing it. too many people shove it in then do the bolts bolts up and pull it in, and  snap the teeth on the drive gear on the back of the clutch.

How do I know... I did exactly that about 20 years ago, cost a fortune as I didn't realise the gear came off the back of the clutch basket, so bought the whole thing!!:(

8 minutes ago, mikeyd said:

As long as we are on the subject, does a Bandit 1200 generator fit/ gears mesh on to an 1127?

short answer, NO....

b12 has 26 teeth on the alternator, 1127 has 28 teeth and 750/600 have 30 teeth, they can be swoped easily,  this is not definitive, so count the teeth on the alternator being removed and the gear with same number of teeth must go back in..:tu

60EHwY7.jpg

I did this for the 1st time a little while back and did not find it that difficult but I had the clutch cover off at the time. This meant that it could be seen clearly when the gears meshed correctly, and how getting it wrong will result in an expensive disaster as detailed by FBOB. For the price of a new clutch cover gasket, it may thus give you peace of mind to refit your alternator for the 1st time with the clutch cover off. If  you need to do this again then you know exactly how this potential pitfall works and can do it with the clutch cover on.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Dezza said:

I did this for the 1st time a little while back and did not find it that difficult but I had the clutch cover off at the time. This meant that it could be seen clearly when the gears meshed correctly, and how getting it wrong will result in an expensive disaster as detailed by FBOB. For the price of a new clutch cover gasket, it may thus give you peace of mind to refit your alternator for the 1st time with the clutch cover off. If  you need to do this again then you know exactly how this potential pitfall works and can do it with the clutch cover on.

Wise words matey, wise words:tu

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, Dezza said:

100% agree for the price of a gasket its so much easier with the cover off :tu