brake swap gs650

5 hours ago, wraith said:

How deep are your pockets?

For someone of your experience doing a brake swap is NOT a good idea, if you get it wrong! Well think of the worst.

im not sure but are you saying that i should find a piston the same size cheaper. also ill add the on the outer ring where my piston goes there is rust too, i pu them back together and now they sync correctly when pressurized but still dont retract. but i didnt gett all the rust out of the pits but i got most out, think they were sitting with the brake stuck so the piston exposed and thats why all the corrosion is on the edges of them

v-twinwalker,

I respect your enthusiasm for wanting to get into classic Suzuki motorcycles, but you're getting ahead of yourself.  Everyone has to start somewhere.  There are jaw dropping high performance custom bikes here on OSS, but the members who build them have been working on and riding motorcycles for a very long time.  For now you may be best off learning how to maintain your bike and enjoy riding it.  Over the next few years, your riding and wrenching skills will greatly improve.  Over time, as your budget allows, you can start collecting parts for a cool custom project.  That "old" brake system works quite well when in proper working order.  My dad had that same model you have back in the 80's.  Even with two adults (both my parents) on it, they were not crashing into stuff due to inadequate brakes.  Most of the braking is done by the front anyway; go compare front and rear brakes on a modern sport bike.  There is a lot of info on the stock gs brakes on thegsresources.com

Don't get discouraged, keep learning.

• Like 1

im just fucking broke guys ive been out of a job for a bit over a month and i left because i wasnt getting paid shit and i was unhappy being stuck and watching people who got hired after me move up, i even trained somebody for togo right before they took me out because i couldnt deliver. im just not tryna end up in a fast food joint. the bikes the only thing keeping me couraged but i cant work on it because its money problems, i have $0 and i cant be lent any money because i have to pay bills in my mom and stepdads house. life just sucks right now. i know the bike deserves more i dont wanna neglect it i go and look at it everyday and clean off dust or anything that collects on it and i just try to find something i can do to improve it. i know its old and thats the reason i want to get it working right because i want it to have a long life ahead of it, i enjoy working on it and i had enjoyed when i fixed something that was broken and understanding how it works, and having a certain appreciation knowing im the one who did it. i love these machines, i just need a job to fix it.

Being unemployed sucks...most of us can relate to that. 

OSS is our happy get away plave hence we don't like to discuss unemployment,  illnesses or politics on here....It distracts from our much needed distraction. 

That said..... Can't You offer yourself up as a shop apprentrice at a friendly motor cycle repair shop? Learn some skills while you are at it.

Or: Community centers often offer free repair services to help each other in trade for your knowledge / skills

Hth 

• Like 4

You live on the Florida coast right?  Go check out marine mechanic shops.  You might find one willing to take you on as an entry level shop assistant.  Starting out mostly dirty work cleaning corroded boat parts, but later on learning more skilled task with skills translating over to your motorcycle.  Are there any electrical power plants nearby?  Go on their website and see if there are any entry level positions.  That's an industry that will train you and in a few years you can be making good money.

A young person who is healthy, drug-free, willing to learn, and willing to work can do well in a number of industries.  PM me if you want to discuss any of this.

• Like 5