turbo oil pump

Bobby

On 9/26/2019 at 11:49 AM, Bobby said:

So in the process of adding a turbo to my 1052 gsxr, wanting to lubricate the turbo with its own oil pump, now I'm sure I've seen somewhere that there is a mechanical oil pump that is intergraded with an ignition cover somewhere? does anybody know who makes them?

The turbo is usually / always fed via engine oil pump - GSXR's have plenty of oil pressure to spare. Waste oil from the turbo is sucked out either by an electric scavenge pump as above or via a mechanical pump such as the Emtes type (what I use). The two have pro's and con's - the former can drain the turbo after engine is shut off but is an electrical load (which can be a bit much on some electrical systems - unlikely but possible) and a failed pump will result in LOADS of blue smoke. The emtes type are always on/pumping when engine is running but aren't a bolt on solution requiring some engineering / welding to fit and ideally should be combined with a sump below the turbo to capture any drainback.

Edited by Gixer1460
16 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

The turbo is usually / always fed via engine oil pump - GSXR's have plenty of oil pressure to spare. Waste oil from the turbo is sucked out either by an electric scavenge pump as above or via a mechanical pump such as the Emtes type (what I use). The two have pro's and con's - the former can drain the turbo after engine is shut off but is an electrical load (which can be a bit much on some electrical systems - unlikely but possible) and a failed pump will result in LOADS of blue smoke. The emtes type are always on/pumping when engine is running but aren't a bolt on solution requiring so engineering / welding to fit and ideally should be combined with a sump below the turbo to capture any drainback.

Right ok I'm with you, thanks for that information, that will give me something to think about in the lead up to doing the install to see which direction I take with it, cheers