a post about my bike that isnt a problem

v-twinwalker

so the bikes started, again, fml. if it turns on tomorrow after letting it sit ill be happier to anounce its gonna be stable, but anyways after so much posts about problems with my bike id figure id post the photos of my bike when i first got it, i did take off the spraypaint revealing the original paint which isnt bad at all just scuffed n stuff, ill be rockin it tho. i got it for $700 and im pretty happy about the deal, i dont think the guy who sold it knew much about it he had it for less than a month so the owner before him still had his name on title. maybe he gave it to me bc it was a pos, or maybe he just didnt wanna deal with it he had other bikes in his garage. but anyways, heres my 82gs650gl. 

edit: i also found my bike on youtube, the guy whos name was on the title had a youtube channel with this specific bike on it, his youtube is shacklinjackson i just think its pretty cool that i found my bike on there.67173798_338680587042138_7596046376220229632_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQljDgXv5Cq7Iq9Jimi_7gN53NzP9PXnZZf4pqA_se3jjbDC8YsYxvWO7UV97aNfxh-svSWc8f4pFqlwj7U6L7Mk&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.fna&oh=72fc4e670dd8285764f5cbd2b84c70c5&oe=5E2EF48067456575_903423803389459_5526125911985881088_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQnrWEU-JXRcfSsIMFm3VcRDmB-deeIN08I472R7Tf50U3QZQoFcaMAPeNNSKJjXZ87pzJNXzPtuFZrste5v8Akx&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.fna&oh=ee1400481cfee488cbc3a2695dd6578e&oe=5DFE1E1D67423470_330816554470696_4805725841927438336_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQku666McpJjnZ5lm3o32gauEfP1U0xZs4_Qp_QJx_XgEq5SHidoOhomNbNqaOxOd-6CI6HheeW7qLnalOqrYAN4&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.fna&oh=84d1afa0fe8e766d4aee187d584409bf&oe=5E32965867414119_2364958713831056_1038784372213284864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQlnwrvKYnp0H0kFR_e7kHxs9HjnABk-gbXeZbXuIFtEE3NjsMiDunGMblvTKTmUamYITU7GqRK_sNC7-wW1eStp&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.fna&oh=4752efb93c5f1cf9329ac545c3dd17cf&oe=5E035649

Edited by v-twinwalker
  • Like 5
33 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Before trying to strip your carbs, and maybe making things worse, buy a bottle of this. Follow the instructions to the letter. If it improves things ... great! If not, at least the carbs wi be nice and clean internally! 

image.jpg

seafoam good enough? i was watching some vids from the dude who owned my bike, and he replaced the pectock, can thart be why my fuel delivery isnt good? since its a vacuum pump and  maybe its going out, also i have to turn my petcock with pliers to move it.

this bike ran flawlessly atleast 2 years ago dont know how much it was rode between then and when i got it.

Edited by v-twinwalker

Swiss Toni’s advice is good mate. You need to eliminate things in order, making sure everything is clean and in good condition is the right place to start. Anything could have happened to it in two years, you can’t take it running well ages ago as a sign of anything. 

• Like 1

+1! Good advice! Systematic problem solving. Eliminate one problem, go on to the next ... until it's running like a sewing machine! If your throttle cable's got broken strands, it'll be stiff to open, and hang up when you're trying to close it. Check it out, and renew if needed. Just take your time. If you're not sure...ask! The only stupid question is the one you're don't ask. We all had to start somewhere! Stick with it. You'll get there. (y)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

+1! Good advice! Systematic problem solving. Eliminate one problem, go on to the next ... until it's running like a sewing machine! If your throttle cable's got broken strands, it'll be stiff to open, and hang up when you're trying to close it. Check it out, and renew if needed. Just take your time. If you're not sure...ask! The only stupid question is the one you're don't ask. We all had to start somewhere! Stick with it. You'll get there. (y)

you've been the nicest and most supportive guy on this forum thanks dude, how hard is it to take the cable off and back on without removing carbs i know it connects almost at the bottom of them, if the carbs need to come off will that do any damage simply taking them off and on, i dont wanna mess stuff up thats not messed up already. 

Removing the cable in situ is a pia, but not impossible. If you can't do it, disconnect the cable from the throttle, then remove the carbs. Removing ... Easy. Re-fitting ... that depends on how hard the boots (rubbers) are. Before doing this, take notice of the cable run. Fit the new cable to the carbs first, and run it back to the throttle on the same route it took when you removed it. You did take notice, didn't you? Good! But, if the YCC hasn't done the trick with the poor running, you may as well open the carbs up and give them a good clean. Ultrasonic is good! Do one at a time. Don't rush it. Keep things clean and tidy. 

If the carbs aren't too dirty, you may be able to get by with removing the carbs, removing the float bowls, and spraying out the passages with carb  cleaner spray.  If really gummed up, they'll need to go into dip or ultrasonic bath.  American gasoline (petrol) is generally 10% ethanol and breaks down very quickly.  Some fuel stations are selling a 15% ethanol; please don't put that into your bike.  Most fuel here is rather low quality, but it is WAY less expensive than what our friends across the water are paying.

5 hours ago, Poldark said:

If the carbs aren't too dirty, you may be able to get by with removing the carbs, removing the float bowls, and spraying out the passages with carb  cleaner spray.  If really gummed up, they'll need to go into dip or ultrasonic bath.  American gasoline (petrol) is generally 10% ethanol and breaks down very quickly.  Some fuel stations are selling a 15% ethanol; please don't put that into your bike.  Most fuel here is rather low quality, but it is WAY less expensive than what our friends across the water are paying.

i have a non ethanol pump right by my place (and 93 :D) luckily, would it be the best thing for me to go non ethanol? ive seen something about it before

10 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Removing the cable in situ is a pia, but not impossible. If you can't do it, disconnect the cable from the throttle, then remove the carbs. Removing ... Easy. Re-fitting ... that depends on how hard the boots (rubbers) are. Before doing this, take notice of the cable run. Fit the new cable to the carbs first, and run it back to the throttle on the same route it took when you removed it. You did take notice, didn't you? Good! But, if the YCC hasn't done the trick with the poor running, you may as well open the carbs up and give them a good clean. Ultrasonic is good! Do one at a time. Don't rush it. Keep things clean and tidy. 

alright ill definitely have to do the carb cleaner treatment i have a spray can but ill just use that for a full clean if i have to end up doing it, cant find the can right now anyways. hopefully ill be getting to it soon, ill give an update when i get to all of it thanks dude!

A new friendship blossoming on OSS.  Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.  Seriously though, it is good to have local people to ride with.  Today I went riding with my friend, not a OSS member though, he was on his Bandit 1250 and I was on my gs550e.  He had to go easy on the throttle.  It was a good day.

• Like 2

carbs r off, dirty bois they are, inside didnt look bad know you cant see bc i blocked them off, boots are pretty old but still squeezable and not cracking, heres some pics. cleaning/rebuild coming soon!?t=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJ1c2VybmFtZSI6ImlhbnN1Y2tzIiwia2V5IjoiZjA5NjNkOGEtZTE4OS0xMWU5LTgzZDUtMGNjNDdhOWFmMTcyIn0.Dxt68T-aNfWzzjy4fe2e0DQWHN6gATNmsQJcPHnOSPY&h=f0963d8a-e189-11e9-83d5-0cc47a9af172?t=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJ1c2VybmFtZSI6ImlhbnN1Y2tzIiwia2V5IjoiZjYwNWZiYmUtZTE4OS0xMWU5LTgzZDUtMGNjNDdhOWFmMTcyIn0._EJPb8EhSfi4ok_djGFIepATYS58anPFUnIt0voYQXs&h=f605fbbe-e189-11e9-83d5-0cc47a9af172?t=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJ1c2VybmFtZSI6ImlhbnN1Y2tzIiwia2V5IjoiOWE0NGQzNDgtZTE4YS0xMWU5LThkMTMtMGNjNDdhYzI4MjhhIn0.hrDgbuU_w91g5-ScddLQSArkmUuvsWxS1kQN--UqOUg&h=9a44d348-e18a-11e9-8d13-0cc47ac2828acouple things, will washing the rubber fittings that are on airbox with purple power be a bad idea, will dilute the degreaser with water. also whats some pointers i should know when doing this.

edit: yeah just realised ma boots is cracked where they mount

Edited by v-twinwalker