Gsx1100 gearing

Ibbo

Hi all,

I have a gs1000 with gsx1100 motor. The gearing is 17/48. It feels quite low. 6k revs at 90.

Thinking to jump to 18 at the front, i know evens are not ideal, but has anyone run this with a std motor.

Id like to cruise 80ish without the buzzing vibes.

Mike

Hi Dezza

Its a 170 rear, I think 60 series.

Had a good run out yesterday, and actually it doesn't seem too far out 2up.

It is a 530 chain, I thought there was room for bigger front sprocket, but you could be right. The gearing will probably be the only thing turbo about it then.

I'm hoping to do a few miles on it this summer, and you're guaranteed 4 hours on motorway and dual carriageway to get anywhere from Cornwall.  Easy cruising at 75 is what I'm after.

Mike

5 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

@gs7_11 - that is pretty tall - it is approx 15% overdriven compared to the 'OEM 1:3 ideal' but means needing approx 15-20+% more torque to achieve a similar acceleration!

Not really, it's less than 4% different to stock. Speeds in gears come out much and such the same as my standard bike, and given it has a 1085 kit, it still feels quicker.

My Standard GS1000 is 15/41 (down 1 tooth, GS750 rear sprocket) which is 2.73:1. On the7/11 I've ended up with the 16/42 which is 2.63:1, so about a 3.8% increase.

They both still feel undergeared!