Hello from Italy! New Gsx1100ES

akronos

BE3684E3-521A-40A8-8018-7D8537660D70.thumb.jpeg.dda0e608093e8dae5a82d07edfc6b56e.jpegThere’s not much to be done with the shock it seems. The dials on the side of the bike by the seat lock are for preload adjustment and rebound damping. The shock itself is a sealed unit. The pictured shock was dead and disassembled to satisfy my curiosity. 

I just installed a used Ducati M900 takeoff shock. I ended up having to install it upside down. I read somewhere to use the 1150 spring, which I did. The M900 spring was quite heavy ( thicker / shorter ) spring. I haven’t ridden with it yet, but after inspecting the original shock, anything is better...

Edited by Dorkburger
Uploaded pic twice

Hello!

from what I understand if I find a shock absorber of a Ducati Monster 900 can I mount it without any problems or invasive changes?there are no other shocks that I can install without changes?

since you are kind and very informed I wanted to ask you another question:
How can I mount a naked handlebar? What alternative plates can I mount? Do you have some advice?

I'm certainly no shock expert, but went with the Duc shock after hearing of it being a viable replacement over the span of several years. As noted, I had to mount it upside down because the larger top interfered with the rockerarm piece at the required angle to mount the bottom. I clearanced the shock a bit only to find that at full compression the nitrogen Schrader stem hit the bottom bracket. Easier explained in pictures... I did have intent on initially reusing the stock shock. After a good cleaning I was able to restore function of the preload adjuster, but when reassembling the damping adjuster something went wrong and the shock's oil pissed out of the bottom.....

IMG-3157.thumb.JPG.b38bfc62d69a78f5914b250752ba165f.JPGIMG_3095.thumb.JPG.57fece35f4a2300818daad89937b0e2f.JPG

As far as handlebars, I'm using Telefix clipons. The only concern I had initially was that the sockets didn't fully slide onto the forks before touching the top yoke, despite the Eblag seller listing them for an 1150. That being said, its been about 12 plus years and they have never moved. They are fully adjustable and eliminated the goofy angle of the ES clipons that I didn't like. My favorite angle does cause the switch clusters to hit the tank at full lock though. No worries at the moment, because my tank is junk, and I can adjust them later. I did have to trim the plastic yoke cover to fit it back on. 

20140212_192633.thumb.jpg.d2e3e3bb66dfabea120598741d93abe9.jpg

I have also seem people drill the top yoke and mount MX style clamps allowing the use of a tubular handlebar. Personally I think the clip one look cooler, and I like the position of mine. Slightly aggressive, but still good for long rides. They are also wider allowing for easier tossing around of the large beast.... 

Edited by Dorkburger
Auto incorrect

Great This link work perfect thanks.

Today I finished the bike:
New Spark Plugs BR8ES
New air filter
spark Plug Cables new
Clean and synchronized carburetors
But I find myself with a problem, after having tried for about 40 miles (the engine runs well and pulls hard) I removed the plugs again and as you can see... It seems very lean to me what you say?

20190317_160250.jpg

20190317_161051.jpg

> very lean

Yes, I'd say so. I think you'll find the plugs are DR8ES though. Fitting the BR8ES type would take some effort as these are a different diameter! Compare the pilot and main jets sizes in your carbs to the ones listed in the manual.

> raisers good?

Seems like these should fit fine unless you don't want to drill new holes and want to use the existing holes that clairetoo suggested. (fine pitch M10)

11 hours ago, akronos said:

Carburetor have 120 Main Jet and 47.5 Pilot Jet....

That is stock. (Thought I'd put up  link to the EFE service manual so you could verify for yourself, but apparently not. I did post it in another recent air cooled topic though).

So there must be other resons for the lean mixture. Climatic cirmcumstances? Engine not getting up to working temperature? Poor fuel delivery? Fuel float height set too high? Air leak somewhere? Less restrictive exhaust fitted?

No popping from the exhaust because of the lean mixture?

• 2 weeks later...