Crankcase vent

Wilson

This is a newby race question, but why do I need a bigger crankcase vent than comes on a stock ‘85 Slabbie engine?  I have seen many venting systems on race prepped bikes but have never understood the reason why when a venting systems already exists on the bike.  If it is a good idea how should I run the vent hose?

Guest YoshiJohnny

If you don't have one they tend to pressurise the crankcases when they are revving flat out for long periods, that results in power loss as the pistons are fighting against the pressure (not huge amounts but well...y'know...racing and that....) I just ran them from the oil filler to a catch bottle easy peasy... Hel do the fittings and the adaptor for the filler cap

41 minutes ago, Wilson said:

I’m still a little confused.  What then is the function of the vent and hose running from the top of the engine to the air box?

It is a vent, it goes to the airbox so oil mist goes through the engine and not all over.

The vent is too small though for constant high rpm. A bigger vent from oil filler into the airbox would work better.

When you ditch the airbox you need somewhere for the oil to go, so a catch bottle is the best bet