Harris Magnum 2 GSX1100

Spongebob

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Must admit I wasn't a fan of the MAG II seat unit (side panels).

Hatted having to poke my hand through the hole to get to the fuel taps. Especially trying to switch to reserve when on the move.

That fairing bracket is a bit funky, not a Harris original I presume.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SiBag said:

Must admit I wasn't a fan of the MAG II seat unit (side panels).

Hatted having to poke my hand through the hole to get to the fuel taps. Especially trying to switch to reserve when on the move.

That fairing bracket is a bit funky, not a Harris original I presume.

2 petrol taps at that! Doubt it will go far enough to worry about reserve though. Fairing mount is a one off. I got a Harris fairing but no mountings so i left to the creative hands of Mike Woods.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

and it lives! Due to lack of time and plain couldn't be arsed I asked Mike at Full Metal to sort me out a loom and just check over a few areas I have of concern. Apparently it fired up easily and pissed oil everywhere. Easy fix as filter cover o ring pinched.

Mike will be returning it in a few days and i'll then move to finish which is mostly cosmetic stuff. Still no sign of my fairing back from paint but I'm told it will be done end of this month.

End is in sight!

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Bike is home from Mike's. He's done a neat job on the wiring and has fixed the oil leak which was simply a nicked o ring. It starts on the button but I have discovered a new issue.

Bike selects 1st gear, changes to 2nd and then 3rd but will not select 4th. I've tried with engine off and engine running with the wheel in the air but no joy. I am dreading the prospect of having to take engine out and split cases. Hoping I can see whats wrong either via clutch cover or very least dropping sump. I've never been deep in a Suzuki engine before.

What do I need to be looking for?

10 hours ago, Gammaboy said:

Should be able to see it in action with the sump off - i'd be guessing bent shift fork?

Yes, clutch cover is off and if I get time I'll remove the exhaust and drop the sump. I was talking to the guy building the Katana race bike at Motorcycle Live and reckons you should be able to see and hopefully fix via sump

On 28/11/2016 at 10:08 PM, Gammaboy said:

You can change shift forks from the sump - if you've chopped out the webbing in the bottom of the gearbox (Racers do this regularly - might be why the Suzuki Classic racing guy suggested you could do it.).

I can see what you mean! I cant see f all in there for lumps of casing. Going to take bike off the ramp and lie it on the ground see if i can see in there better when its on its side.

• 3 weeks later...

Given up. Can't see f all in that gearbox and wont pretend I know what I am looking at either. Nothing obvious hanging off or in the wrong place. Also f**ked my back so heavy lifting is off the agenda for a while. Bike has gone to Adam Perkins to remove motor and dive in the gearbox to fix. So close and yet so far! Just glad gearbox issue was discovered before I fited all the body work and tried to run it up the road. It's going to cost me but at least i know it will be right when it comes back.

• Like 1

He's found it. Apparently I had put something in back to front so the selectors weren't engaging properly. Unfortunately it was engine out and cases split to fix rather than access via the clutch. Positive spin at least it's fixed. I'm going to drop the clutch and sump etc with him later and get him to reassemble whilst I am laid up. Should be back early new year.

• 4 weeks later...

Collected the Magnum from Adam yesterday. I rather got the feeling he was pleased to see the back of it. He's also set the cam timing up accurately whilst the engine was out.

I now have 5 gears instead of 3. Starts on the button and sounds very sweet.

Off to the shed now to fit the bodywork that I do have (yes, still no fairing back). Will take some more pictures and perhaps a little run up the road when it stops lashing down with rain.

• Like 4