1993 exhaust on a 1989 engine

Buxo

Hi to everyone, I’m new here, my name is Carlos, I’m from Spain (sorry in advance for my English).

A few months ago I bought a GSX-R 1100 from 1989, love that bike, in a very bad condition, and now I’m trying to restore it, I’m also new on that. The bike came with and aftermarket exhaust 4-1-1 system, but I want to install the original one 4-2-2. I bought already the two original silencers, but not able to find the headers (or exhaust or muffler or whatever you call that part), and my question is if you know if a 1993 headers will fit my 1989 engine? On the pictures it looks to be exactly the same, the different one stars on the 1994.

Any advice on this will be appreciated, cheers!

1 hour ago, Buxo said:

image.thumb.png.eb65ddf90ae6a7bf45ece27b4bdbe8fe.png

image.thumb.png.609bafdba2c88dc5c7bd0f4f869a817b.png

image.thumb.png.e7900213df82cebec0c9d70d9cc828d7.png

image.thumb.png.fee8b25454da0d6be567477cb0d1e5d6.png

image.thumb.png.45a8793db1efe5bca29a58d6c06614cc.png

And this is from a water cooled one, you can see the cylinders are much closer each other from the narrower water cooled engine.

Oil cooled and water cooled have the SAME exhaust port spacing! You won't find that out by gauging it off photos. 

I've used water cooled systems on slingshots a few times. Biggest issue is with the contour of the downpipes. They can look a little akward as they don't follow the slingshot frame rails too nicely. 

Below is a photo of a watercooled 1-4 Cobra system on a 11K slingshot. I had to cut about 20mm off the collars and reweld or it would have stuck out more. 

09102008(001).jpg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Buxo said:

This is the exhaust, I would say it is from an oil cooled engine, don't you think so?

yes. Look exactly like the stock headers on my Slingy 1100.

Tried watercooled stock headers on an oilcooled Slingy 1100 once, didn't fit, frame was in the way of downpipes 2 & 3.

Here's my Slingy:

IMG_3758.JPG

Edited by Captain Chaos
  • Like 1