GSXR750F forks dismantle

billd

I'm having trouble getting the bottom Allan bolt out without the internals spinning thus unable to get the fork dismantled. I don't have a workshop manual. Is there a trick to this?. I did try and remove the bolt prior to relieving the spring tension, also tried a impact driver to spin it off, all the things that normally work  but no luck. Would appreciate your suggestions.

I've cut the shaft off an allen key and put it in a drill before. Quick short bursts on the drill. I had fork horizontal clamped in a vice by the caliper lugs (oil emptied) for comfort. Try either pushing in or pulling the stantion while using the drill as may offer some resistance to the internals spinning.

If that don't work, try localised heat on the bolt to break down the threadlocker and repeat. 

Use a box spanner as a large allen key, with a socket on the end of the box, with multiple extension bars and a normal ratchet. The 'allen key' of the box fits into the 12 point head of the damper rod, you then hold it and undo the bottom allen bolt. But it's definitely easier to undo them if you have an electric impact gun before removing the springs. This method is good for tightening back to the correct torque though and you don't get bits of wood in your forks as you do when using old broom handles etc. to stop the damper rod from turning. Obviously it's trial and error trying to find the right size box spanner act as an allen key. Front wheel sockets work as well if you have one.