How much difference does a header make

scott-s

The engine in question is a 2000 GSX750F Teapot. It's going in an older frame so I'll be running dual K&N pods on '95 GSX-F carbs (and jetting it. I'll be asking advice on that later). I currently have the stock header and a Yoshimura pipe.

How much difference does an aftermarket head pipe make? And I'm still getting conflicting info on whether the GSX-R header (of similar years) will fit the F bike. I believe something about the oil sump was mentioned? And some of the headers I've seen online don't seem to give access to the oil filter.

I guess what I'm asking is, if I'm not after ultimate horsepower, and mid-range is good for me, is it worth trying to find a good or different header for the Yoshi pipe?

Aftermarket will be lighter, most likely better flow dependent on quality. As for sump, it may be that you will have to get a strainer & sump off a different bike (see my drag bike build thread in projects) also, a few are hard to change filter with headers on, but seeing as you'll change it once in 5k miles, that's no biggy ;) 

And sticking an end can on original headers & mid pipe will do nothing but look good.

Other than the weight savings, is there much to be gained performance wise other than on the top end?

I'm transplanting this engine into a GS550,  so I'll be nearly doubling the horsepower anyway. And I like mud range. Just save my money and keep the stock collector?

I'm not running across too many header systems for the '00 GSX-F. I know the 600 and 750 used the same head. I think the Bandit would fit but the collector underneath is way different and I'm not sure where it routes the pipe. Would like to know more about which GSX-R headers might work.

them pipes look like aftermarket srad ones. you would need to move #2 and #3 pipes further apart to fit as the cam chain moved from the inside to the offside of the engine  on later w/c engines. spacing would also be different between #1 and#2 and #3 and #4 so need to heat them up to fit proper. but do-able ish.