1990 GS500 Amateur Mechanic

Hello all. I am new to the Suzuki Community and am very excited what is ahead of me on this. I am looking forward to getting a new to me but old to age a 1990 GS500e. It's saw better days, it seems to need a carb rebuild kit (already ordered), needs a battery (will pickup in the future), But on the right side of the engine case, there is a hole about the size of a half-dollar. It is a common thing on most of the GS's that I see, but a lot of times I see them covered by a Suzuki Emblem, I would think that it needs a plug or something, such as some dual sports, they are called Engine Plugs. Was just curious if I need to buy a part for this or if I can just throw the adhesive logo over it?

attached files are both of the right side of the bike, please look down at the engine case and give me some feedback. 

Thank you all -Ricky

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

Hi and welcome to OSS :)

That cover is other the pick ups, so yes you could just put the Suzuki bag back on or a rubber bung, you just need something to stop the water and other sh#t getting in there ;)

As your new have a read of the rules in the general section ;) 

The gs500 is not really oldskool but stick around as it's your first and your Suzuki day will develop :D

9 hours ago, wraith said:

The gs500 is not really oldskool

its older than some katanas and gsxr's as well as any bandit, 1990 is oldskool to me, and the gs500 motor is essentially an updated gs450 which is a good old 2 valve aircooled suzuki lump, albeit lacking in cylinders.