melted wires

bigpants

Hiya everyone. Just got back from Xmas shopping , bike running fine but took lefthand side panel off and noticed block connecter from generator was really melted and as I touched it the wires came off and also the adjacent 4 wire block connector from cdi also melted - didn't touch that. Where do I even start ?

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, CockneyRick said:

As he says, get the reg/rec done & hope your battery is still salvageable ;) 

And lots of reg/recs will fit so no need to look for direct replacement.

On an oil boiler? Really.

If you are in the shit and need the bike for transport, disconnect the alternator wiring and run it total lose. You'll need to re charge every 40 mins 20 mins if you use the lights

Thanks for all the info everyone. Just to update you though , I just fitted the gen from my spare engine. There were some small visual differences to the gen casing but it fitted fine and bike fired straight up. But now reading 15.5v at battery terminals at approx 2 -3k.  Could something else be causing this - I'm guessing not as the reg shouldn't be able to chuck out 15+v but thought I'd ask.

Also Rick , could you explain the difference between  the alts and how I identify which one goes with which engine. Ive done so much work trying to get both engines running over the years I can't be sure all the right parts are with the right engine anymore. The alt I just fitted did turn the engine much quicker. Thanks.

Hmm... cheers captain chaos. So the alt can be teased into overcharging. This might suggest there's nothing wrong with reg/rec but a fault somewhere else dragging the output voltage up. Well I've been having misfire/cdi issues since I got the bike running after an 8 yr lay up . I'm not sure where that leaves me but ill go over that thread u posted for me until I understand it. Also just discovered both my engines are u704 and not UK spec 703's.