Sticking floats?

Chopn1000

Hey guys I have a question at almost wide open throttle or even 3/4 throttle the bike revs really high and let off of it it's fine. Is that a float sticking or what is going on I had a friend of mine look at my carbs and he pushed up on one of the floats and the return back down to normal position was very slow he said that there's a week return spring is that true. If so what is a good carburetor rebuild kit that I can get because I got this bike at an auction and I don't know how long it's been since anything has been gone through and I want to freshen everything up

Edited by Chopn1000

There's no 'spring' on your floats. Boyancy takes them up, gravity brings them down. Are you talking about your slides being slow to close? If so, your first course of action is cable lubrication, then routing. Try that and see if it improves matters. What carbs you running? What bike? If fitted, could be a punctured diaphragm. I'd also check the return springs fitted above your slides are there, if vacuum carbs. 

Edited by Swiss Toni

It's the copper looking piece that is inside the carburetor it is about an inch in diameter when you take the air filter off it is right there in the middle of the carburetor that moves up and down when you push it up it's very slow to move back down my problem is around 3/4 to Full Throttle it revs out really bad and you have to let back off of it I don't know what the problem is. 1980 Suzuki GS1000 with Factory kogyo carbs

Edited by Chopn1000

That's the slide! As I said in last post, remove your cable and lube it. If it's beyond repair, renew and lube it. Re-route it back to the carbs, avoiding sharp bends. If you feel energetic, make sure your throttle is moving freely. You could also remove your carbs, you'll have to for a re-fresh anyway, and check the movement of the slides. Look for bright alloy on the slide, denoting high points, which you can ease down, and tears/rips in diaphragms, if fitted.  And, as the carbs are off, dump them in the ultrasonic tank. On re-assembly remember....don't over tighten things. Most of them are either alloy or brass. They're so easy to strip/snap. Seeing as you're in the US, you could try FactoryPro for your spares?

Edited by Swiss Toni
5 minutes ago, gs7_11 said:

CV carbs still have slides ;)

They're just not attached to the throttle cables.

Exactly my point! More likely to be a vac issue than cable or slide sticking! The fact of being able to push the slide up and then it fall slowly is a cv trait inherrant in the design. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

With cone filters too.