Oil light come on when throttle is open.....

Dukeman

Fitted 750 oil pump gears and external cam oil lines to 1230 and the oil light come on when opening the throttle hard. Goes out but a bit unnerving.

The oil line take off is where the temp sensor used to be would this affect the oil pressure sensor?

Oil level is fine and ooil temp is good at around 70C or 158f max so far using a sump plug oil temp sensor.

20170827_185017.jpg

Stock pickup is junk. They can pull air from the flange, and if the oil level is ever below 3/4" at the tubes (can easily happen under acceleration) they pull air.

I've modified the stock pickup on mine - blanked off the pickup tubes and cut an opening in the very bottom of the pickup, I also modified a GS1000 pickup screen (hammered the flange flat) - it fits in the flange of the GSX pickup, and allows you to easily clean the screen vs the stock one (recommend you do this relatively regularly - the modified bottom feeding pickup will pick up the junk that otherwise lives in the bottom of the sump). Final thing was made and fitted a gasket.

Alternative is using a GSX750ES or Bandit pickup screen on a ~1" spacer to pickup from the bottom of the sump. Someone (Schnitz? Star? can't remember) makes a kit for this.

2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Did you plug the oil transfer holes between cases and barrels when you added the external lines? If not you've doubled the potential oil flow routes to the head and likely halved the pressure - which for the plain bearing cams is NOT a good thing!

No. Because both supply routes eventually meet up and have to go through the same small hole at the cam journals. The smallest hole decides the pressure.

46 minutes ago, gs7_11 said:

No. Because both supply routes eventually meet up and have to go through the same small hole at the cam journals. The smallest hole decides the pressure.

Well something is causing the lite to come on - the switch is pretty unsophisticated and responds to flow rather than pressure.

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Well something is causing the lite to come on - the switch is pretty unsophisticated and responds to flow rather than pressure.

Yeah, possibly the relocation of it has put it where there isn't much flow to sense? Especially when throttle open.

I think if you have a genuine oil pressure problem, the cam bearings would pick up pretty quickly.

Edit: if it's really sensing flow rather than pressure, doubling the pipes would halve the flow rate at some points in the circuit?

Edited by gs7_11
Afterthought

Early on in the life of the bike I had issues with it lighting the oil light under hard acceleration when the oil level was at the minimum. Given the bearing/cam/rocker failure that ate the motor, I wanted to improve oiling. I figured that with the 750 pump gears it was more likely that it would pull air, so decided to rework the pickup.

With the Engine canted forward due to the changes in ride height and the the extra volume from the oil cooler, it takes almost 4l of oil when it's on the upper sight glass marker....