41mm slabby forks recommend set up mods

Hi, presently working on a front end with a set of these forks ( the ones with the manual anti dive knob). What would you recommend doing / getting done to these to help bring them into the 21st century ? - previously i've sent stuff like this to maxton but i'm on a dIY budget

1st fit shrader valves - next ?

many thanks

If you fit schraeder valves you lose the mechanical preload adjuster.  I'd  get the spring rate right first, oil level, seals and bushes.  Or you could just leave them as standard and still do a 99mph lap of the TT Course on them without a steering damper.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, canamant said:

If you fit schraeder valves you lose the mechanical preload adjuster.  I'd  get the spring rate right first, oil level, seals and bushes.  Or you could just leave them as standard and still do a 99mph lap of the TT Course on them without a steering damper.

Agree if you refresh them and get the right springs,oil etc they're fine.Use mine on the road and track days and it's not an issue,haven't done a TT lap at that pace though respect(y)

Other option is forks out of something more modern which will give you more adjustability,however even then you have to get the basics right first.

great thanks - that's the answers  I was hoping for, basically saying - set up to suit using typical basic tuning = they are a decent fork. -  i'm fitting a short top extension ( presently making a top dog leg triple clamp so the joint will be across the clamp) - this will also enable me to fit a side entry link pipe for the air valve and keep the pre load adjuster

cheers - good to know i'm on an ok track given the work needed :tu

Damper rod forks are pretty basic, things have moved on a lot since.  Their limitations mean they're harsh at high speed suspension movements (hitting a bump in the road at speed) and soft under low speed (braking). Guess it's possible to get a decent setup with springs and oil tuning...........

Have heard of people having good results with emulators, read this http://www.racetech.com/page/title/Emulators-How They Work

Think these can be done pretty cheaply, if you do it yourself, they're advertised on Eblag amongst others.  Just need the ID of the forks.

Edited by robbo_64
  • Like 1

I've used racetech gold valve emulators on a non suzuki, the difference was very pronounced with the spring kit to go with it. There is quite a bit of fettling to get them how you want them..... The roads round here are atrocious, and trying to get some speed up I used to feel like my eyeballs were rolling around like goldfish on speed on a bowl!! Calmed the front down no end but highlighted just how bad the back was... Once ya start.... Lol