GSX75S oil separator problem?

Hi,

My first post in this section :)

I have a question... I recently fired up a GSX750S (You can find a build thread in the projects section). Im running with pod filters so I needed to do something with oil separator vent hose as no airbox is there...

I put on like a 20 cm hose + small filter that looks like KN filters. I found after runniing the bike for couple occasions (as I'm fighting with carbs), that white smoke is coming out of this hose/filter.

I ignored it as I considered that as the engine is worming up after sitting on the shelf for 2 years - it's just burning any stuff that got there (during the valve service and any moisture from the inside)... 

It's white(ish) smoke, it smells a little like oil, but not much. It behaves like 80% moisture condensate (evaporates quickly), 20% oil burned. Yesterday after running the bike during carb syncing it for about 20 min it got me little worried that it's taking too long for this to clear.

It's not coolant;)

It doesn't smell like burnt anything I know, I wonder - what can this be? when should I start to be worried?

Nice build by the way (y) 

As to the white smoke coming out of your breather, this is most probably condensation, is it cold or damp where you are?

You don't need the filter on the pipe and I would remove the filter.

The only other thing it may be is its over heating, but as its only run for a short time I would not think so, seen white smoke coming out of the breather when been in very slow traffic on a hot day (not that much other here xD)

If it dose not stop just check your getting oil to the top end and someone has not nick the oil pump gears.

18 hours ago, wraith said:

Nice build by the way (y) 

As to the white smoke coming out of your breather, this is most probably condensation, is it cold or damp where you are?

You don't need the filter on the pipe and I would remove the filter.

The only other thing it may be is its over heating, but as its only run for a short time I would not think so, seen white smoke coming out of the breather when been in very slow traffic on a hot day (not that much other here xD)

hi. no :) it's not dump here. its sitting in a dry garage, and the weather is very nice. i'm concerned a liuttle, but I'll give it some more time, since ithe engine oil only had a chance to reach 60-70 celcuis of oil temp when started for carb sync, and short test drive. so I wouldn't say it's overheating, especially it's awfully rich!

18 hours ago, wraith said:

If it dose not stop just check your getting oil to the top end and someone has not nick the oil pump gears.

can You elaborate little more on this?

still "smoking" and... it bites the eyes when You look close to the breather pipe... its definitely burned oil (cos what else?)... Still have some hope left, that once the engine gets to working temp - it will go away... as there is nothing wrong with the way it works...

unfortunately I didn't have a chance to ride the bike for more than 5 min yet (today I went for a ride testing new carb setup for 2km), as it's extremely lean right now on 1/2 throttle - I didn't want to fight with it...

once this is sorted - I'm going for a first - proper ride...

this thing doesn't let me sleep :) It starts 30 seconds? after starting the engine...

compression is fine. the engine is working really nicely. no smoke of any kind from exhaust... WTF!

what can be burning oil inside the engine? alternator? oil pump?

Edited by jimbo22

Yep.. I'd say condensation as well..

Had even worse smoke clouds coming from my EFE when I first took it for a test run after a rebore and pistons.. (At first thought the loom was shorting out, so stopped by the side of the road only to find the smoke was coming from the breather hose..)

I used mineral oil to help the rings breaking in, but I suspect -somehow- this oil caried a lot of water as the engine hadn't been left sitting for that long at all during the rebuild.

After a second -long- ride and getting the engine properly up to temperature the smoking stopped..

What oil are you using?

11 hours ago, arnout said:

Yep.. I'd say condensation as well..

Had even worse smoke clouds coming from my EFE when I first took it for a test run after a rebore and pistons.. (At first thought the loom was shorting out, so stopped by the side of the road only to find the smoke was coming from the breather hose..)

I used mineral oil to help the rings breaking in, but I suspect -somehow- this oil caried a lot of water as the engine hadn't been left sitting for that long at all during the rebuild.

After a second -long- ride and getting the engine properly up to temperature the smoking stopped..

What oil are you using?

Motul - semi synthetic I think... I need to check when in garage. I bought 3 different oils for 3 motorcycles the same time. so I don't recall which one exactly went for Katana. But it's a viscosity recommended to this engine.

What You write is reassuring. I still didn't have a chance to ride it properly and worm it up, as its still extremely lean. and on Idle it hardly worms up :) So I still have hope that this will fix itself once I let the engine breathe a little.

Edited by jimbo22