KAT 1170 comp & squish

Hi All.

Great to see the new site up n running, huge thanks to all involved.

Nowthen..

I will soon be starting the build of my katana 1000 engine, it has a wiseco 1170 kit and an EFE cyl head, dialed in EFE cams and fuel injection.

It will be fully mapped when its done.

I'm just curious to see what comp ratio and squish people have been running and what kind of results they have had ?

Its a road bike so I dont want it to get too hot,

I was thinking 10.5:1 and 0.9mm

Cheers.

Skel.

• 1 month later...

0,9mm squish will be ok. I have run as little as 0,75mm but I believe that is probably getting a bit close. When I ran the same piston kit I did have valve to piston clearance issues though with G3 cams. Bent a few exhaust valves at max revs.

If you get the squish down to what you want you may find the compression ends up being a little higher than ideal but it will probably be ok though you may have starter clutch issues long term. I always have. 

What are you using for your fuel injection? If its Microsquirt then the ignition side of things can make the starting issue go away with the facility to retard the ignition when cranking.

Good luck

Nick

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers Nick.

I'll go for .9mm I think.

Hopefully with std EFE cams I wont have any piston to valve issues.

I can always mill out the pockets slightly if needs be.

I'll volume it up before I mod the chamber so I know what I have to play with.

For the injection system I'm going to use GPZ1100 TB's with either GPZ or GSX1400 injectors @40psi (I think) with a DTA S40 ECU with a 24 tooth trigger wheel or maybee a 12, depends on space.

Cheers.

Skel

Cheers Nick.

I'll go for .9mm I think.

Hopefully with std EFE cams I wont have any piston to valve issues.

I can always mill out the pockets slightly if needs be.

I'll volume it up before I mod the chamber so I know what I have to play with.

For the injection system I'm going to use GPZ1100 TB's with either GPZ or GSX1400 injectors @40psi (I think) with a DTA S40 ECU with a 24 tooth trigger wheel or maybee a 12, depends on space.

Cheers.

Skel

Hey Skel

Keep us posted on how it goes.

I used GSXR600k1 (38mm I think) as they are individual throttle bodies & easy to respace, running at 45psi with a Microsquirt. I am going to change to 750k1 throttle bodies as they are 40 or 42mm & still fit GSX rubbers. Never thought about GSX14 though. I used a 36-1 toothed wheel from triggerwheels.com as it fits quite nicely under the cover with 1 of the original GSX pickups repositioned. All works really well. Arttu who is on here, is the man when it comes to this stuff & was very helpful with the tricky bits.

DTA S40 seems quite expensive though. Is it worth the extra? I do need another for a different bike I am doing.

Nick

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Heyup Nick.

Sorry for the late reply, have been busy building my workshop, racing and fixing my jeep.

The kat project is proper under way again.

The only reason that I am leaning towards a DTA S40 is that it is very good quality and I am used to the software, and does everything I want.

Unless you know of another one that would work equally as well ?

I will be starting a new thread on here soon so that everyone can have a good laugh at what I'm up to.

Do you have a photo of your 36-1 triggerwheel and pickup ?

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 9:28 PM, skelly said:

Sounds like a plan :tu I wouldn't bother with the GPZ injectors. They are quite primitive compared to modern ones and over 30 years old now. Many car injectors fit directly on GPZ TBs though you need to make a new fuel rail. For example these should fit: http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=01D034x&eq=&Tp For GSX1400 injectors you probably will need all kind adapter things to make them fit.

I'm using 24-2 trigger wheel on my GSX now. Seems to work quite nicely. I have also sold few of these sets to others and haven't got any bad feedback by this far. 12 teeth trigger might be slightly risky for starting, depending on your compression ratio, ECU algorithms and many other factors, BTDT ;) 

24_2_trig1.jpg24_2_trig2.jpg

• Like 1

Arttu, thats very cool that is.

I was thinking of getting a 2" trigger wheel with 36-1 teeth and doing a similar thing myself.

The GPZ TB's are a perfect fit on the suzuki rubbers, also they look quite retro with the DFI box on the end to cover the TPS.

The GPZ injectors look gash and are to tall anyhow due to the fact that I have some frame bracing over the top of them, they also fit the fuel rail by a push on piece of pipe.

I just happened to have a set of throttle bodies of a GSX1400 under the bench so I pulled the injectors out and they fit a treat into the GPZ bodies,

all I have to do is make a fuel rail out of some tube and 4 turned bits welded on or get an ally fuel rail and drill & counterbore 4 injector holes and stick a pipe in each end.

Simples..

What could possibly go wrong..

• 2 months later...