Neck bearing race removal

I'm replacing steering neck bearings on a 1981 GS550L frame.  These are tapered roller bearings.  Top bearing outer race came right out of the frame using a long punch and hammer.  On the lower bearing, I can't get a firm strike with the punch.  I'm sure I am not the first here to attempt this.  Is there a special tool or technique?  My repair manual doesn't say anything about it.

Had a set in a katana that didn't want to play, ended up having to cut through the outer race with a dremel,  next one that caused problems I went for a less subtle means , piece of flat steel that fitted within the narrowest point of the inner race that was welded into place . (latter method perhaps not the best if the frame isn't being refinished ).

Combination of the heat and somwhere to hit and it popped out

2nd on the welder heat - I use a TIG torch  - no added wire, just heat the bearing shell until you see signs of the metal flowing - I have also ground out a slot using a dremel - not cut all the way through - then hit the slot with the welder to pull the ends together - she'll drop out then

• Like 1