Slabby front brake issue - bleeding?

Fire3500

I'm going to have to beg a bit of expertise from you folks... I've got an issue that doesn't seem to be progressing. 

Bike: 1985 GSX-R 750 F

Issue: front brake, cannot get a decent lever, lever comes back to bars, will not improve with repeated pumping

Already done: strip and clean callipers, strip and clean master cylinder, new seals in callipers, new seals in master cylinder, new HEL lines (bypassing connector union as simple is good, right?), new correct spec brake fluid. 

So the front brakes have been completely stripped and cleaned and re-sealed. New lines and bled up seemingly correctly however the lever comes back to the bars and the brake effort is compromised by this. The lever is not bent and the bore/cylinders of the callipers and master cylinder looked all OK. The weird thing is that when attached to the fork legs and biting on the disks you get this crap lever, but if you unbolt the callipers from the fork legs and let them just "float" then you get a great lever that you'd feel confident to ride with. 

I'm pulling my hair out over this one, anyone any ideas? 

Cheers! 

Lazy way is to park bike on side stand leave it parked like that all nite with the brake lever strapped up against the throttle tube. Have handle bars turned to the left so all the air flaots to the surface.. works wonders sometimes. But yes, always get good pressure at the master cylinder 1st when doing brakes. then work ure way down the line bleeding each connection.

• Like 1