K5 1000 swingarm geometry dimensions (wanted)

5 hours ago, markfoggy said:

Well it looks like unladen, and shock length is 325mm so can't you work enough out from there?

Before I weld the upper and lower suspension brackets onto the frame...... ( 83' katana 11 ).....the dimensions a/b/c from the above diagram are needed..... so... no , not just the shock length .

That's why I'm saying work from that drawing as you know that all the centres are in the same plane. The potential for error in measuring live off a bike are huge.

So A, B and C translate as proportions of the known length of the shock i.e. 525. Or if you have the linkage and swing arm you could take a dimension off them and scale against that drawing. If you are really serious Give me all the dims and I'll run it through Tony Foal for you to check that it all adds up.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, markfoggy said:

That's why I'm saying work from that drawing as you know that all the centres are in the same plane. The potential for error in measuring live off a bike are huge.

So A, B and C translate as proportions of the known length of the shock i.e. 525. Or if you have the linkage and swing arm you could take a dimension off them and scale against that drawing. If you are really serious Give me all the dims and I'll run it through Tony Foal for you to check that it all adds up.

Don't think the drawing is of a k5. The top mount on a k5 is adjustable. Frame is different too.

In%20the%20bike%20189_zpshlwxsui8.png

This was just looking at what I could do with a water boiler and a later shock. Job was to locate the top shock mount in the right place.

Well let me know, I need a little more practice with the software this sort of thing is invaluable. 

I'm heading down a similar route, possibly with an even more unusual swing arm, but the linkage type is very similar to K5.

Edited by markfoggy
Clarity
  • Like 3

I fitted a k5 swinging arm to my 2004 busa, take the original link bar, reduce all dimensions by a third then have a new one made using original bearing drilling, before you remove original swinging arm measure a point from frame to a point on swinging arm from spindle hole them measure same length from spindle on new arm, bolt in swinging arm using new link bar then support swinging arm on a jack till measurement from frame to datum point I's the same then make up a pair of dogbones in wood, bolt them in and ensure ride hight is the same as original, if you want to Jack back end up make up dogbones to suit then when happy replicate wooden arms in steel and bingo! K5 arm fitted, 55mm shorter, it works in had mine in for 2 years and it works, simples!