180 Rear Tyre on a GS1000

Hi all new to the forum and after some advise re rear wheel size for a GS1000

Whats required to fit a 180 tyre, what offset front sprocket is required and would the frame need modding to clear the chain, I'm planning on wide spoke wheels so want to go 5.5 inch rear rim

Cheers in advance

Got a 180 in mine, & i had to use a Busa rim as the hub is narrower than the other options.

Also i spaced out the front sprocket as a cheaper option than an offset. 

It has a JMC arm in so had to turn down the carrier a bit & use shortened sprocket bolts & 1/2 nuts too. But that may all be down to the JMC?

I did this on my 1100et , 1100et swinging arm (ali) standard, bandit 12 rear wheel , et carrier, 170 tyre, offset sprocket and 530 chain / rear sprocket,, dropped calliper down to bottom ( b6 calliper) , bespoke dog bone made up  to act as calliper stay which goes from calliper up to lower shock mount.  no frame mods required . not sure if gs frame is same as et but sure someone here can confirm that.

pm if you wish

will post a pic shortly.

I did this on my 1100et , 1100et swinging arm (ali) standard, bandit 12 rear wheel , et carrier, 170 tyre, offset sprocket and 530 chain / rear sprocket,, dropped calliper down to bottom ( b6 calliper) , bespoke dog bone made up  to act as calliper stay which goes from calliper up to lower shock mount.  no frame mods required . not sure if gs frame is same as et but sure someone here can confirm that.

pm if you wish

will post a pic shortly.

Also did the USD caliper & torque arm. I went down to 520 chain & also did it on the EFE too, plenty of strength in good make chains these days.

DSCF1451A.JPG

• Like 1

with the 530 chain,9mm offset front sprocket and a 180 tyre, it  left me with about 4mm clear to tyre wasn't very comfortable with such  a small tolerance,so opted for the 170 and Avon av60 tyre. laser adjusted chain so dead straight .

any further out on the front sprocket would mean frame rub and chain off line - imho.

tyre sizes are not always spot on depending on make.

I found this article very usefull

http://www.gsx1100.com/site4/tips/offset_sprocket.php

I found that a 520 chain and debben offset drive sprocket makes 180 possible. 170 is easier though. Bandit swing arms are easier to fit than gsxr types (wider at pivot) but jac and metmachex make bespoke, braced alternatives.

i found it difficult to get a clear chain run and keep the wheels aligned. 

Shock mounts are an issue too. Shocks like to work without shear forces created by being moved outwards to clear the chain. 

There are some talented people on here than can give advice and help. Anything is possible!

• 1 month later...