Over bore to 1168, worth it?

Hey all, I am going to be yanking the mill for some transmission work to back cut trans. If I do a wiseco 1168 to the motor, without cams, is it worth it? Motor runs great. It does have a slight oil leak at head gasket near the upside down bolt. I am running stock carbs with stage 3 jet kit. I plan on RS36 flats in the future. I hate taking motor apart, so, if I know I want to do it why not do it? But, before I spend cash I really don't need to, is it worth it. Will I notice a difference with out cams? Or port work? Is it possible to build a motor up over time, or do you have to do it in one shot?

Thanks. 

FB_IMG_1444872724125.jpg

• Like 2

Yes you will, and it is.... Stronger mid range, better top end etc etc Seeing as you planning on a set of RS 36s too, be rude not to do it. If you were going to do anything else to compliment this, a set of adjustable cam sprockets are well worth the extra money to get your cam timing dialled exactly where it needs to be. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That leak you have is probably the o rings on the two front head studs either side of the cam tunnel. The tall ones. The orings perish and let oil past. It runs down at the front of the engine and looks like a head gasket leak. Easy fix. 

The wiseco kit fairly livens them up though. Slotted cams sprockets  and RS 36s with it and you will definately notice the difference. 

• Like 1
On 5/29/2016 at 6:39 AM, KATANAMANGLER said:

That leak you have is probably the o rings on the two front head studs either side of the cam tunnel. The tall ones. The orings perish and let oil past. It runs down at the front of the engine and looks like a head gasket leak. Easy fix. 

The wiseco kit fairly livens them up though. Slotted cams sprockets  and RS 36s with it and you will definately notice the difference. 

Is this repairable without head gasket removal?