problem with drive shaft oil seal katana 1100

Little advice needed..

It was easy getting the oil seal out, but I can't seem to get the new one in without damaging it ( I tried a few times )
After I got it out I heard that normally you need to split the cases...
I replaced a few of these before on other engines but never had a problem getting a new seal in with a little grease or oil.

Has anybody done this before? thanks!

IMG_20160511_201653988_zpszbxlhoss.jpg

and a picture of the bike (not finished yet)

IMG_20160512_191259559_zpsbmr8w0yn.jpg

I have only ever done this with the crank cases split. The reason being that there is a half round steel retainer shim that the seal needs to  sit behind. 

It's easy to slot that into the crank case groove to retain the seal when the cases are spilt. I can't see how it can be done with the retainer in place.  I could be wrong and I know that's not what you want to hear but from memory the retainer is tight up against the seal.

You can do the crank seal because that has no retainer ring.

Well that metal retainer was easy to get out and back in, popped right out and back in, so I never thought about splitting cases before I started the job..
I made the edges of the casing a little less sharp, and tried it again to get a seal in that I damaged a little on a previous attempt.
And it went ok with a little grease, and it is in now.
Can't test it yet because of bad weather

Freezer idea is also good ,will give that a try too.

Ordered a new seal, and will make a little tool at work to try and tap the new seal into place
But I still have a little bit of hope that the seal that is in there now won't start leaking

2 hours ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

Cool. Wasn't  sure if the retainer came out with the cases together or not. I've done 3 or 4 but always as part of a total strip. I have done the crank seal in position before. Got the engine hot and kept the new seal in the freezer overnight. Glad you got sorted.

I will let it know here if the seal that is in there now will hold the oil inside :) 
Will test it out tomorrow when its dry outside.

• Like 1

im not sure the freezer idea is all that good. ok theres a possibility that the seal may microscopically shrink and ease fitting, but equally, freezing a rubber seal might make it brittle and likely to crack or split due to reduced flexibility. i think id rather stick the seal in some boiling water to soften the rubber, then smear round the outside with a little wellseal, that way it may slightly lubricate it and also take up any irregularities caused by forcing it in sideways.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...