GSXR 1100 W engine weaknesses

People keep telling me that the waterboiler engines are really fast / powerful but are weak. What do they mean? Which parts are weak and what are the fixes please as I have an engine to build and need to know if there is anything to watch out for, thanks

Edited by spondonturbo
spelling lol

think the biggest weakness is owners not checking water level and boiling them...

debbens did one that was 200bhp N/A ...The sidecar boys used to luv them......

there are shim spitting story's  BTH I think that's from over revving them

in a naked bike they do look butt f##K ugly thou

Never heard of oil starvation or shim spitting... and I'm happy to rev mine to the moon after I put it together with 78mm pistons.

Over reving is the death, have seen two go bang because of this. They are quite tight on exhaust side piston to valve clearance in stock form and have 4,5mm valve stems. If you bend one valve just a tiny bit - it may even seem straight and work fine, but it will snap soon and cause horrible damage. I'm sure that much trouble can be avoided with good cam timing and the right clearances. Both engines that I have seen blowing up had valve marks on pistons showing that they were hitting each other. Both were bone stock, too, and cam timing was on factory marks.

That goes for stock valves; some say that stainless are better, but best is to make sure there is no possible contact between wrong things.

Edited by Kristjan
11 hours ago, Kristjan said:

Never heard of oil starvation or shim spitting... and I'm happy to rev mine to the moon after I put it together with 78mm pistons.

Over reving is the death, have seen two go bang because of this. They are quite tight on exhaust side piston to valve clearance in stock form and have 4,5mm valve stems. If you bend one valve just a tiny bit - it may even seem straight and work fine, but it will snap soon and cause horrible damage. I'm sure that much trouble can be avoided with good cam timing and the right clearances. Both engines that I have seen blowing up had valve marks on pistons showing that they were hitting each other. Both were bone stock, too, and cam timing was on factory marks.

That goes for stock valves; some say that stainless are better, but best is to make sure there is no possible contact between wrong things.

Yes, the engine I am going to rebuild is likely valve damage from what the seller described to me. He originally had a blow up that threw a rod through the crankcases. Then he rebuilt the engine, but dropped a seal down the cam tunnel which then made the cam chain jump and another blow up. He then gave up and sold it to me, so here's hoping I have better luck O.o

• 8 months later...