Change gs650g to 17 inch rear wheel

I have an 1982 gs650g.  I am having a terrible time finding a 16 rear tire for it.  Does anyone know if a 17 inch wheel from a gs850g will fit the gs 650g? 

Any advise will be helpful.  The only 16 tire that I could find has been on back order for over 2 months. 

On 9/7/2024 at 11:06 AM, wraith said:

I take it your gs650g is the custom type gl ;)

The gs850g rear wheel will not fit your hub, so you will need ever a gs650gt or gs650m katana rear wheel. Both are 17" and both will fit straight into your hub and swingarm. 

Fyi.  The vin number is for an 1982, the build date is 08/81,  on the 1981 parts list it has a 16 inch rim, the 1982 is a 17 inch rim, so I am going to find a 1982 rim and try that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to wrap my head around not being able to find a 16 inch tire.  130/90-16 is one of the most common bike tires out there.  If you're only dealing one local shop who only deals with one supplier, they could be out of stock for the moment.  I just searched on Flea Bay and they have lots of them, and I'm confident Amazon will too.  If you really prefer a 17 inch, then go to the time and expense to switch over.  If you just want to ride, look for other sources of tires.

• Like 1