Wideband o2 sensor placement

Where are people placing their sensors on their blow through setups? I have a short exhaust exit from turbo so not really ideal placement. Putting a port on the downpipes could be an option but will look a little unsightly when plugged after setup and may be a little hot on the downpipes. I suppose I could make a longer exhaust outlet purely for setup. May have just answered my own question...

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

sensors on the runners will die immediately. Did that a long time ago just before turbo: doesnt work. On the dumppipe the reading will likely be off because its too close to outside air. Seems to me WOT would be ok because of the massive airflow, but idle and cruising will  be off. No experience myself, just parrotting what other say. Longer pipe without muffler could be a good option for testing.

Edited by peter1127

Depends if you want it permanently mounted or not, with or without a gauge? NEVER before the turbo - back pressure and heat will kill it in short order! As close to the turbo outlet is ideal ie. try to get at least 12" / 300mm upstream of the exhaust end outlet. If not a permanent fixture, the sensor can be shoved up the pipe, wrapped in foil just for tuning sessions then removed for use - not ideal but it works ok!

Ok, thanks. Thought too close to headers would be too hot. Plan on making a longer exhaust outlet for setting up and set sensor bung around 300mm from turbo exit and extend the exhaust quite a distance past that point. 

Cheers. Yes, with gauge. Not going to be permanently mounted, just for tuning purposes. Then will fit stubby style exhaust exit. I have a few exhaust flanges laser cut to hand to make variations which is handy.

Bung.thumb.jpg.87dbd58541b80cba2b449b0f503ab772.jpg

Not a Turbo but i put it in the link pipe on the supercharged Zuma 

Its does throw up E8 error code "sensor overheat" after a few mins but i put that down to the ting tong sensor 

As i never got them in a similar place with a genuine Bosch one 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Toecutter said:

Cool, that was the style of final exhaust I'm going for. Guess it works ok there for you for dyno tuning? 

Yes worked fine, needs to be away from the turbo but not too close to the end of the exhaust.

• Like 1