Air Cooled Engine ID?

davecara

48 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Jeez - hope there's nothing wrong with the carbs as i've never even seen a set of those - pair of dual barrel / single diaphragm Mikuni's ? - spares are not gonna be common!

33 minutes ago, captain chaos said:

those carbs are a royal pain in the ass. And even worse is that nothing else fits on those GSX550 engines.

But when they run they are quite good.

Hmmmm so much for a straightforward little OSS engine for the ratty chop build then! Any ideas what other (if any!) CDI units will be compatible with it? If its gonna be a royal PITA i'll just move it on and keep a look out for something a bit more common to put in the frame

Re : CDI - I would guess that the GSX750 will probably work ok - not exactly a screamer or power monster so may suit all depends on the ign pick up pattern - single or dual? As regard carbs a set of std 750 slide carbs could work if re spaced or is the cyl. head manifold weird as well to preclude that option? Who knows.............the carbs may be fine after a good ultrasonic bath - wouldn't take them apart as you're liable to rip a gasket or shred an o-ring then they are definitely FUBAR'd without spares!

On 30/01/2016 at 6:54 PM, davecara said:

Carbs generally or these in particular?

Im beginning to think thus motor is a bad idea! Only owes me £50 though so not the end of the world if I dont use it. 

Any one have any clues about cdi compatibility?

unfortunately, these in particular. of all the gs and gsx variants, these twin choke carbs from the 16 valve gsx550 are renowned for being a royal pain in the arse to get right, theyre full of seals and o rings and have a history of going off very quicky, as has been said, when theyre right, theyre pretty sweet, but they need to be kept mated to the stock airbox and you need to keep on top of them. not sure  how they will react to use with modern unleaded fuels, but as unleaded these days seems to fuck up almost everything it touches, i see no reason how these will be different.