none charging gt380

hi finished my gt380 only to find it not charging, has separate rectifier /voltage control , replaced brushes did not work. how can I checked to find out whats wrong, electrics not my strong point , prefer mechanical, but can test bits if I no how to do it.

Electrics that old are going to try most peoples 'Grey Matter' ! When you said 'replaced the brushes' my immediate thought was Generator / Dynamo - surely not but looked up the parts fiche on Robinsons and its described as an alternator except its backwards to how we normally see them, in that the magnet spins via crankshaft whilst the field coils are stationary! The brushes are doing what - i'm not sure !

Do you have a workshop manual Suzuki or Haynes ? ? ? That should have a reasonable explanation and troubleshooting section. Its usually the regulator / rectifier that goes bad, either over charging or not charging at all. They are all solid state and un-repairable (by most people!) and usually have to be replaced with something else - usually from *onda or ^^hama as Suzuki charging electrics from that era suck big time! Some colour photos of rotor and plate assembly could provide info what bits to test and what to expect, as this is likely as much a mystery to us as it is you!

• 2 weeks later...