Gs1000 cometic head gasket and cam chain tunnel O ring

got to whip the head off my 1085BB GS1000, have recently heard the O ring isn’t required with the cometic fibre head gasket, is that correct,

and could the fact that I fitted an O ring last time I had it apart be the reason why the head gasket never really sealed, and got progressively worse ,

pain in the arse as runs really well, but covers the engine and my jeans in oil every time I ride it

Edited by PaintItBlack
33 minutes ago, gs7_11 said:

Doesn't sound right to me. Pretty sure mine's got an o-ring.

Yeah I’m not convinced it’s right either,

read the O ring wasn’t used with the cometic gasket somewhere, can’t remember where now, so when I ordered the gasket from Suzuki performance spares I asked if the O ring was needed, he didn’t know so went and asked someone else and they said it’s not used with that gasket, but he didn’t sound very positive, so I’m not convinced and still not certain 

17 minutes ago, gs7_11 said:

Isn't it the new (genuine Suzuki) MLS head gaskets that don't need the o-ring?

Yes I believe that’s correct,

Can’t see why the O ring wouldn’t be used with the cometic fibre gasket, it’s just that I’ve been advised that it’s not used ,

could be the guy at sps was confusing the cometic and genuine Suzuki gaskets

15 hours ago, PaintItBlack said:

got to whip the head off my 1085BB GS1000, have recently heard the O ring isn’t required with the cometic fibre head gasket, is that correct,

and could the fact that I fitted an O ring last time I had it apart be the reason why the head gasket never really sealed, and got progressively worse ,

pain in the arse as runs really well, but covers the engine and my jeans in oil every time I ride it

I haven't put the O-ring on mine.

Do put some liquid gasket on the front, and a bit to the sides, of the chain tunnel

1 hour ago, Reinhoud said:

I haven't put the O-ring on mine.

Do put some liquid gasket on the front, and a bit to the sides, of the chain tunnel

Thank you,

and could you confirm that you are using the cometic fibre gasket,

were you advised that the O ring wasn’t required, or did you just figure that the head gasket and a dab of liquid gasket would do the job,

thanks

If you compare these 2 gaskets (Cometic fibre and Suzuki MLS) you can see the difference in the cam chain tunnel area, and why one needs an o-ring and one doesn't).

It's stated on Fowlers website that the new genuine MLS gaskets don't need o-rings. Fibre gaskets still do.

Basically, if the gasket has a space for the o-ring, fit one.

20240221_173916.jpg

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, gs7_11 said:

If you compare these 2 gaskets (Cometic fibre and Suzuki MLS) you can see the difference in the cam chain tunnel area, and why one needs an o-ring and one doesn't).

It's stated on Fowlers website that the new genuine MLS gaskets don't need o-rings. Fibre gaskets still do.

Basically, if the gasket has a space for the o-ring, fit one.

20240221_173916.jpg

Thanks,

Seems I was given duff info from sps 

• Like 1
On 2/21/2024 at 10:47 PM, PaintItBlack said:

Thank you,

and could you confirm that you are using the cometic fibre gasket,

were you advised that the O ring wasn’t required, or did you just figure that the head gasket and a dab of liquid gasket would do the job,

thanks

I have a fibre cometic gasket.

It's just a chain tunnel, no pressure on the oil, just a lot of splatter.

Oil is mostly on the front and back, never had problems at the back.

The headgasket is a gasket, so why would it create problems?

I didn't put an O-ring in because I didn't had one.

The teardrop ones at the bottom can be reused too, but do measure the thickness!! If the thickness is still the same you could do it, if they're thinner, replace them.

Also feel if they're still soft, if they're hardened replace them!

Edited by Reinhoud
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Reinhoud said:

I have a fibre cometic gasket.

It's just a chain tunnel, no pressure on the oil, just a lot of splatter.

Oil is mostly on the front and back, never had problems at the back.

The headgasket is a gasket, so why would it create problems?

I didn't put an O-ring in because I didn't had one.

The teardrop ones at the bottom can be reused too, but do measure the thickness!! If the thickness is still the same you could do it, if they're thinner, replace them.

Also feel if they're still soft, if they're hardened replace them!

Thanks again,

have ordered an o ring now (how does that little piece of rubber cost £30), so will be using it when I do the job

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 7:46 PM, johnr said:

Is it that o ring that's leaking? Plenty of oil leaks on heads are due to the o rings on the centre cylinders head nuts.

O-rings on centrel cylinder head nuts?

The outer nuts have copper washers, but I never have seen O-rings on other nuts..

On 2/26/2024 at 8:46 AM, johnr said:

Is it that o ring that's leaking? Plenty of oil leaks on heads are due to the o rings on the centre cylinders head nuts.

I think you are confusing this GS head with a GSX one - all head nuts on GS head are external, so just need steel / copper washers.

15 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I think you are confusing this GS head with a GSX one - all head nuts on GS head are external, so just need steel / copper washers.

ahh, sorry, i just assumed gsx, my bad, carry on, nothing to see here..........