1100et carburation help

Hi all, want to run up my 1100et engine before a full strip and build of the bike. The carbs have been thoroughly cleaned out with new parts where needed. They are standard 34mm with 115 main and 40 pilot jets. There is no air box yet and I have fitted a vance and hines drag pipe.It runs and revs up using the choke but I can't get any throttle response without it totally bogging down. It won't rev atall. I have never had standard carbs before , could it be the lack of air box? I'm sure I've seen engines bench tested with no air box and even no exhaust. 

Lack of airbox won't help but your statement that it 'revs up' with the choke but has no throttle response is confusing - its one or the other? If it needs choke then its either getting too much air (no airbox?) or too lean with the jetting (no surprising with a virtual open pipe!) I've never changed a pilot in any carb - never felt it was required - emulsions, needles and mains is a different thing though - I'd say that's where yours needs adjustment. But you've proved they / and the engine works so tuning can wait till bike is rebuilt IMO!

It runs, so that will give you a idea of what you need to do/look at on the engine strip and re build. 

If you're going to put a air box on or filters it's no point messing with the carb settings till then parts are fitted, as it will change the carb settings again. 

You will need to do some up jetting for the V&H exhaust but all that can wait till the engine is done and you've fitted the air box etc. there should be lots of info out there on best settings for your bike with just a open exhaust, not like it's the first one ever done :D

• Like 1

Try an air corrector kit (from Grumpys, eb@y) in the carbs along with jetting changes and K and N type individual filters. This will basically give you a LeDar induction kit, one of the greatest inventions known to humanity :)

• Like 1