Rattling carburetors

Reinhoud

Anyone here experienced rattling carburetors on their GS / GSX with CV carburfuckingettors?

I have a rattle, and I don't think it's the engine.

Rattle follows the valve train revs, sounds more plasticy then metallic.

As soon as I go off the throttle it's gone.

It's louder in 4th gear at 80 than 5th gear at 100

Gone when I open up the throttle more

Do carburetors from a Bandit or GSXR fit, or can be made to fit, on a GSX1100 / GS1000?

Thanks

I've got a 1247cc big bore on my GS1000, JE pistons and the recon company stuffed up, so I have a lot of piston clearence, more then 0.10mm.

JE made the pistons too big for the bore size I provided, and the piston clearance they recomend, and then the recon company machined the vore a bit bigger then the maximum clearance JE recomends..

Which more modern Suzuki has a 34 or 36 mm carburetor?

Edited by Reinhoud
1 hour ago, Reinhoud said:

I've got a 1247cc big bore on my GS1000, JE pistons and the recon company stuffed up, so I have a lot of piston clearence, more then 0.10mm.

JE made the pistons too big for the bore size I provided, and the piston clearance they recomend, and then the recon company machined the vore a bit bigger then the maximum clearance JE recomends..

Which more modern Suzuki has a 34 or 36 mm carburetor?

Bad recon co.! With hindsight you should have thrown them back with a ' you've f**ked up, you're paying for new liners! ' Any carbs are now going to be close to 20 yes old so will be a gamble whatever you find!

14 hours ago, Blower1 said:

It was not so loud. It was audible up to highway speeds.

The sound was softer than in connecting rod big end bearing damage.

The sound disappeared for a while when the engine was loaded more heavily ( the pistons expanded more than normal).

Thanks, could you hear it on idle?

7 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Thanks, could you hear it on idle?

It was audible on idle too.

If you going to lift the cylinder head, check that head gasket not cover the cylinder bores. If it covers, piston can "kiss" the gasket edge in the tdc. That can also be reason for piston slap. I had once head gasket where one cylinder hole was 1mm offset.

15 hours ago, Blower1 said:

It was audible on idle too.

If you going to lift the cylinder head, check that head gasket not cover the cylinder bores. If it covers, piston can "kiss" the gasket edge in the tdc. That can also be reason for piston slap. I had once head gasket where one cylinder hole was 1mm offset.

Thanks.

I don't hear it on idle.

But I've got straight cut primary gears, that rattles like hell on idle..

Edited by Reinhoud
21 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Er ! Primary shouldn't rattle - ever!

They do make a bit of noise but hardly perceptable at idle. And a carb slide rattle you'd hear at idle - believe me, you would!

The whole idea to use the angled teeth is to reduse noise.. 

The GS/GSX straight cut gears rattle!

If a gear is 'rattling', its loose on its mounts / fixings - thus the tooth mesh isn't constant and will move back & forth, under and off load. When correctly meshed with minimal backlash any noise is imperceptible! I've had both straight cut and helical cut primaries in bikes, neither of which i'd say was loud / noisy! Now a straight cut gear set in something like a classic Mini Cooper gearbox - that is loud, noisy and whines 'like a bastard' basically due to the extra lash required for racing gear changes!