1981 GS550L Stiff Clutch

I have been rebuilding a 1981 barn find that sat for 35 years. It have been fun, but I am struggling with the Clutch. The clutch was extremely hard to pull. By extremely hard I mean nearly impossible. So I disassembled both the clutch basket side and the sprocket side. Cleaned the clutch plated with alcohol and paper towel and then re-oiled them. After reassembly and tonguing the clutch bolts to 8 ft/lbs the clutch is better, but the lever still requires a large amount of force to pull it.

While I had everything apart I check the clutch cable. It was easy to pull and smooth. I check the clutch screw and it was rotating smoothly.  Finely I tried removing 3 of the 6 springs and it felt "Right" Easy to pull and smooth. But leaving 3 springs out seems like a bad idea.

Lastly the clutch doesn't seem to be fully disengaging when I pull it.

If anyone has any ideas on what is going on or adjustments I can try please let me know.

20231026_192435.thumb.jpg.81f1c66c0af7ff881df653108cce17d4.jpg

20231026_192354.thumb.jpg.7bcf65b56c6160f587939872af5e1c50.jpg

20231026_193408.thumb.jpg.35379f12eba9e25f9cc427a49cb088bf.jpg

Check that the springs  aren't "heavy duty". Many people fit those thoughtlessly assuming they must be in some way better, or to compensate for worn plates.

Also, don't assume that a cable that feels free and smooth will be OK under load. If it's old, just get a new one. I've often found pattern cables inferior to OEM as well.

• Like 1

As above on both, check the rooting or re-root so there's no tite bends. I've had it before with a heavy clutch/ not working  properly that the cable was f++ked even though it seemed ok off the bike. Dose sound like you have HD springs in the clutch and with a badly rooted and or old cable it can make the clutch like something only Popeye could only use.