Hi all. 

Im aware that Methanol eats… well just about everything. And that I’ll need an oil change… well permanently. And that I’ll need to at least double the area of the main jets. If they don’t make any big enough. I own a drill… lol. 

However. Has anyone personally played with Methanol on bandit carbs? 

i run 18psi on a stock 1157 motor currently. With c16 to keep her from pinking. But the price is mental. And she gets very hot. 

I’m hoping someone has actual hands on experience with doing this. 

cheers. 
Matt. 

IMG_4366.jpeg

• Like 1

Cool looking ride , I have no experience of methanol or turbo bikes ,if you get no joy here why not try contacting someone like csu  or pro systems in the States(who build 4 barrel blow through e85 and methanol carbs) they may not want to tell you all their trade secrets but maybe willing to give you some helpful information as regards % jet increases hth

Do you have the ability to log afr during a run ? Even a go pro watching a guage is better than nothing  , as I believe methanol should be around 4:1 as opposed to 12-12.5:1 for petrol 

Edited by DAZ
Addition

Most engines using Alcohol use injection either mechanical or electronic - basically as easier to drain and / or revert to petrol to run through before shut down. Not doing so will corrode or fur up everything its touched - total PITA. I can't imagine a std. Blandit carb lasting long with an organic super solvent flowing through it! Whilst you are only doing a 1/4 mile, I see no oil cooler fitted to an oil cooled engine - no wonder its getting hot! Try fitting one and you may avoid most of the problem! Oh and you'll probably have to up the boost to make the best of using methanol as compared to petrol, its fairly power poor so not directly comparible.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, DAZ said:

Cool looking ride , I have no experience of methanol or turbo bikes ,if you get no joy here why not try contacting someone like csu  or pro systems in the States(who build 4 barrel blow through e85 and methanol carbs) they may not want to tell you all their trade secrets but maybe willing to give you some helpful information as regards % jet increases hth

Do you have the ability to log afr during a run ? Even a go pro watching a guage is better than nothing  , as I believe methanol should be around 4:1 as opposed to 12-12.5:1 for petrol 

Will try them! Never heard of them. Cheers. 

yeah we run innovate boost and wideband and data logger. So can keep an eye on what’s up as well reduce the boost back to spring pressure if things start getting too lean. 

21 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Most engines using Alcohol use injection either mechanical or electronic - basically as easier to drain and / or revert to petrol to run through before shut down. Not doing so will corrode or fur up everything its touched - total PITA. I can't imagine a std. Blandit carb lasting long with an organic super solvent flowing through it! Whilst you are only doing a 1/4 mile, I see no oil cooler fitted to an oil cooled engine - no wonder its getting hot! Try fitting one and you may avoid most of the problem! Oh and you'll probably have to up the boost to make the best of using methanol as compared to petrol, its fairly power poor so not directly comparible.

Loads of cars are still methanol carb, and speedway bikes have been methanol for years. We’re happy with the increase workload.  

I can run the boost up till the turbo gets asthmatic. Or fit a bigger one if required.

By the time wed get any worthwhile airflow through a cooler we’re preparing to stop. Most watercooled motors don’t run rads either. 

Methanol will perform better. IF. We can make it work. Which is why I’m curious if anyone has actually physically done it.  

There's a lot of blow through turbo cars in the U.S. running e85 (it's a common pump cheap pump fuel in some areas and only 15% off straight meth ) not only is it higher octane but also it runs much cooler which has obvious benefits under boost, so maybe some of the sites like . The turbo forums.com ,which has a motorcycle as well as carburettor section could be with a visit 

49 minutes ago, DAZ said:

There's a lot of blow through turbo cars in the U.S. running e85 (it's a common pump cheap pump fuel in some areas and only 15% off straight meth ) not only is it higher octane but also it runs much cooler which has obvious benefits under boost, so maybe some of the sites like . The turbo forums.com ,which has a motorcycle as well as carburettor section could be with a visit 

Problem is this side e85 in the race variant (others can vary the percentage) is still pricey.

. Great shout on that forum. Will pay them a sign up. Cheers. 

• Like 1

Interesting chart, so if it's correct then e10 requires 3.5% more fuel than straight petrol.... what is worrying is that India and Brazil already have e20 and some manufacturers are already building e25+( flex fuel) ready cars, time to buy jets and afr gauges ....

1 hour ago, Duckndive said:

You could try ditching the race gas and using superpi55 and spray Methanol in under boost ..

We already a run water meth injection system on it. Which we keep closer to Meth than water. Have considered if it’ll be a useful tool for enrichment under boost. Or whether the amount it can actually spray will be piśśing in the wind on that front. As it’s very much a chemical intercooler now compared to a proper fuel system. 

1 minute ago, rodneya said:

Problem with the pump ethanol mixes is that they contain up to x% and are not consistent. Fuel injected motors with knock sensors can compensate.

On the “plus” side. We don’t have pump e85 here in the U.K.

it’s a choice of VP race fuel or similar or lab grade stuff for us.