dot head on a k motor.

johnr

ok guys im normally aircooled but my kat has a gsxr1100k motor in it, its a shim head on the motor and tbh it runs great, but in the shed ive found a dot head from a gsxr750, now there arent any cams in it and im in no rush to take it to bits, BUT, when i do get round to doing it, what cams are best to use in it on the 1100 bottom end. there arent any cams with it so its not like ive got anything to start off with. so, im assuming i will need to retain the cam sprockets i have so i can use the camchain in the motor but the dot head is on tappets, so what stock suzuki cams will be the best choice for me to look out for? motor is stock bar a barnet clutch diaphragm and it runs rs38 mikunis.
ive tried searching the tech pages but there are so many mentions of dot heads its like reading war and peace.

4 hours ago, DAZ said:

One other thing to keep in mind is carb to tank  clearance ,as the dot head intakes are angled upwards slightly compared with the std head if its close now it'll be closer after 

There are pics detailing the difference in carb positioning DOT v OEM (11/12) heads on the 'carb interchangability' sticky at the top of the oilcooled section. RS carbs are taller than most CVs (except probably BST 38, GSXR 750 l,m) so I agree with DAZ to check for carb clearance first before going further. On RSs the carbs may go on in a tight spot if the throttle cable bracket is moved though, so don't forget this.