Yoshi heat shield

Guest YoshiJohnny

Guest YoshiJohnny

Got a bit bored so made my own...heat reflective material on the back...modified for head cooler fittings and moulded with a heat gun into place..bit of edge trim and bob is yr dads bro

10308167_10153769510027184_8760818494590530838_n.jpg

Edited by YoshiJohnny
Guest YoshiJohnny
On 12/01/2016 at 2:51 PM, Markz9 said:

Hi john where did you get the reflective material on the inside, is it quite thin? the only stuff ive found is for the inside of fairings and it seem to be padded and a bit too thick

Do a search for heat reflective tape on that well know drain on finances Eblag.... :D you can get Gold flavoured but the silver stuff is used by plembers and is easily available...think B&Q stock it...it's very sticky and thin

YJ

Oh, btw, this is what I'd choose for the backing/heatshield. Glass based product works well with fairings and mouldings , you can resin this into place and it'll act as a stiffening layer. Really good for isolating close fit between fairings and an exhaust. Cuts well with a set of scissors and you can stick it in place with contact adhesive, though resin is better IMO.

http://www.Eblag.co.uk/itm/Heat-Shield-Aluminised-Material-500MM-X-1000MM-/351622449877?hash=item51de54cad5:m:mj3YOTxKuPT-jZB63pkHorA

Well from what I can see, Yoshi have nicked a For Sale sign from outside their unit, and then glued a heat reflector to it, plus a bit of edging material held on with cable ties.

It would look a lot better moulded in CF with a raised OSS logo and a simple return around the edge, getting the Heat wrap integrated from the start of the moulding process would be epic. I'm guessing that it would fit most OSS bikes with the odd hole punched through it with an angle grinder and a Dremel.

How different are the heights of inlets and spacings across about 20 yrs of Hammamatsu's work, FFS. You're only realy trying to get around the carbs and the dims of even the most exotic ones are likely to be not much more than stock. It could even be a blank spacing on the inlet side and you supply a template for different models/generations.

Make it so No 1. 

I can probably have a cardboard template to you on Weds next week. That would be GSX sorted, I've no doubt that someone with an oil boiler could get another one cut up to confirm the fit. That would probably fit water boilers as well.

Genuinely, it's a genius idea and every body on here would probably want one.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, markfoggy said:

Well from what I can see, Yoshi have nicked a For Sale sign from outside their unit, and then glued a heat reflector to it, plus a bit of edging material held on with cable ties.

It would look a lot better moulded in CF with a raised OSS logo and a simple return around the edge, getting the Heat wrap integrated from the start of the moulding process would be epic. I'm guessing that it would fit most OSS bikes with the odd hole punched through it with an angle grinder and a Dremel.

How different are the heights of inlets and spacings across about 20 yrs of Hammamatsu's work, FFS. You're only realy trying to get around the carbs and the dims of even the most exotic ones are likely to be not much more than stock. It could even be a blank spacing on the inlet side and you supply a template for different models/generations.

Make it so No 1. 

I can probably have a cardboard template to you on Weds next week. That would be GSX sorted, I've no doubt that someone with an oil boiler could get another one cut up to confirm the fit. That would probably fit water boilers as well.

The actual Yoshi heatshield kits are a roll of carbon with a very flexible resin (I have one, need to change fuel taps to gain clerance to fit it - stupid Pingel).  - Yoshi Johnny has nicked the sign from outside his workshop :P

The Yosh kit using a flat piece is smart because it means even for the GS/GSX motors, the ~4 different heights are covered. I assume the GSXR "pattern" that everyone uses came from a kit manual or something - it's very different to the one in the Yosh drawings.

19 hours ago, markfoggy said:

Make it so No 1. 

that would be great for a template , even better for a loan of gsxr one,  anyone want to loan me one it will not be damaged and if all works out well you will get a free carbon one

17 hours ago, Jaydee said:

I downloaded this from the old site a few years ago. Some of the dimensions are missing but might be of use to someone. :) 

Heat_shield.jpg

is this for gsxr ? would like to try and add a cover over/umbrella  top of carbs / filters  to stop rain ? maybe bad idea just thinking aload

Just now, SFC said:

is this for gsxr ? would like to try and add a cover over/umbrella  top of carbs / filters  to stop rain ? maybe bad idea just thinking aload

Think it's for the oil cooled motors. As Gammaboy said it's got the clearance holes for the top oil feed hoses. Same as in the Yoshi catalog. :)

yoshi heat shield.jpg

Guest YoshiJohnny

The Yoshi kit I got a couple of years ago contained a roll of black 5mm flexible PVC, a sheet of heat reflective sheet material and a load of drawings to scale...pain in the arse though someone on here was kind enough to enlarge them to 1:1......the black material wasn't what I wanted as it isn't flexible enough to go in the gap (laid up carbon fibre will not fit where mine does as it needed moulding with some heat. You could lay one up in carbon and just have it "L" shaped.

Guest YoshiJohnny

yeah L shaped....the idea behind the heat shield was to create a cool air "box" of sorts, hence the frame covers and pipework from the NACA ducts....L shaped will stop some of the heat but any ducting of cold air to it (which is what Pops was trying to achieve to get a cool charge into the carbs for power) will go straight out the back end...mine is to the original design as it has a catch plate

I have nearly everything from the Yosh catalogue above ....just awaiting a couple of bits and a battery box

Edited by YoshiJohnny

^ Oil cooler will cope with this easily, plus you've got a lot of airflow around the engine.

Trick with the heat shield is it's actually stabilising Cooler air around the inlets. Sure, not like a full airbox, which can be optimised for maximum fresh, cool air arriving with laminar flow, in this configuration there's bound to be a lot of turbulance, but carbs respond well to cool air that's not running away in the opposite direction to which they're trying to suck.

More importantly it's a handy shelf for you to put down a spanner when you're working on another area of the bike. That's always cool, until you forget it's there. :ph34r: