1983 GS750ESD

Suzukian

SOOO, Fleabag sends me only the rear wheel of the 2 wheel purchase.  I contacted the seller, they insisted, according to their records I got the delivery.  I had Fleabag intervene, and contacted the seller again.  He contacts me and says he has "firmly expressed to the stockroom there were supposed to be two wheels send out, why was that front wheel still there".  He provided me with a new tracking order, and I will be getting the wheel in the middle of next week.

In the meantime,  fellow member krazy kat   has sold be a pile of parts at a give away price that will help me complete my '83 GS750ES conversion to a 17" front wheel, and wider rear wheel, much quicker.  The pieces he sent me have saved me a fortune, and frankly, some I could not find anywhere.  That's the great thing about Great forums, it's Great members. ;)

• Like 1

My 2nd rim (the front rim) finally arrived.  I just have to pop out the bearings, to fit the 1150 front axle, get a new front tire (explain to my wife why I need a new front tire), and start swapping the 1150EF front end to my GS750SE.  Gotta get some bearings!! :)

• Like 1

first three carriers circa 2000 AD

b6,suzuki vz800,gs500   The vz is the same as 88 gsxr 1100 j  all 5 bolt , Like your rear wheel.  51.98mm  b6 sprocket landing. 47.66 mm  vz landing, 32.73mm gs500

So your choice. gs500 gets great clearance but i question people that say 160 section tire will fit with it. vz with .250" removed has worked in past . b6 may work as well think more needs removing from sprocket face. inner spacer. short one was made to fit gs500 for 20mm axle. If your 750 has 17mm axle then use stock spacer. b6 spacer has 20mm axle gsx750f has 17mm axle the vz i used with b6 spacer to work on a bike. Confused yet go to parts fiche compare and you will get it. Hope to save you some time just think about it. Shitty harbor freight caliper so get good measurements

I just got hit with Identity theft, but the bank caught it.  They are giving me a new Credit Card, and covering the $45 dollars that someone in the u.J. tried to charge in jewelery.  This is normal procedure to see if a card is monitored, before they try and take a big chunk on charge.  Mine are.

That aside, I am having the two rims I ordered glass bead blasted to get off the horrific blue paint that is on them.  There are some scrapes on the rims, and a little "V" notch on the edge of the rim, all cosmetic stuff..  None of this stuff is by the wheels sealing part, and would not affect how the tires seals, however, I figure while I have it apart, I'll try and fix it.

I have ordered a 3 lb. bundle of Alum-aloy  as they will not sell less,  for around $45 bucks.  The stuff goes on by you heating the rim, and then touching the rod to the rim, which will melt the rod, when the rim is hot enough.  This is done with propane, so the rim doesn't get hot enough to damage it.I will build up little Brass dams on each side to hold the puddle, and when the flame is removed, it solidifies rather quickly.  As the rim is sill really hot, I have to wait till it cools down before I can file, and polish it to match the edge of the rim.

I just wondered if anyone though it would be worth posting pictures of the procedure.  If anyone thinks so, I will post them.  Thank You.  I don't work for this company of sell their stuff, I've just had incredible results with it. ;)

https://www.alumiweld.com/

Edited by Suzukian
spelling

Sounds interesting as a way of cosmetically reviving parts,do you know if can it withstand heat afterwards, I am specifically thinking about powder coat so 400°f or so ? I see it requires 730° to melt but I wonder if at 400° for 20/30 minutes it would slump or distort ...

Edited by DAZ
Addition
  • Like 1

From what I can understand it does take Powder Coating.  The temperature to make the rod melt is really high, but not high enough to take the heat treating away or melt aluminum.  It is heated with propane.  Powder Coating doesn't go up that high in temperature.    One time I milled a piece to see if I could see the line.  I could not.  Their is an exchange of electrons, which is why this stuff works so well, and is bonded, not stuck or considered glued to the part.  The P.S.I. is ridiculous.  I tried to chisel a piece off and dented the front of the chisel.  It cut into the Alumiweld, but did not pop it off, or make it move.   :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the rims back.  Hand then Glass Bead Blasted. They have that MV Augusta raw look to them.  I'll have to polish where the wheel beads seal up. I'm very tempted to leave them raw instead of polishing them, with a coat of very flat clean, or Satin, and leave it like that.  Too much cost to Powder coat them.  I will polish the wheel seal bead areas and leave the rims with the sand blasted look.

I need it to get a little warmer to do the Alumaloy fix, then I'll start looking for bearings.  :)

Edited by Suzukian
  • 2 months later...

I disappeared for a while. Got a little ill.  All is fine now.  I haven't forgotten you guys.  I found a brand new Bridgestone 16" Battleax tire for my Suzuki so that gives me time before I switch over the front end.  I plan to build the front end off the bike, with my Son and Godson, to teach them something, then do the swap, probably in the Fall.  I have a bundle of Alum-Aloy, and ran into a problem when doing a Heli-Coil on the top cover gasket hold down boss.  It cracked when tapping it.  I took the valve cover back off.  I had to remove the camshaft hold down backet on the intake number two cylinder, and used Alum-Aloy to build up the area. 

I had managed to put the Heli-Coil in there, and for good measure, I threaded the shoulder bolt in too.  If this didn't work, I would have had to machine out the old piece on my milling machine, press in a new Boss, and then mill to size.  Luckily, everything worked and bolted back down tightly.  Since that piece is line bored when the bike is made, finding another one wouldn't work, as the odds of it fitting would be slim.  The mounting holes could be widened, or slotted, depending of how, and in what direction it was off it, but they are not to be had anyways.  So I fixed what I had, and I lucked out  All the valve cover screws are now Heli-Coiled.  I think they were originally made of Play Dough.

Working on the other bike I own (ZZR1200) in parallel is tough when you find that you have turned into an old fart.

:)

• Like 1
On 7/13/2023 at 12:59 PM, Captain Chaos said:

people always over tighten them. 10Nm max.

Although Suzuki says 13-15Nm, that doesn't feel safe to me, especially on a 30-40 year old bike.

I agree.  They're shoulder bolts anyways.  They don't take much torque to hold them in place.  I think Suzuki should have used a "Form Thread" instead of a conventional one in that part of the bike.  I know what to do if I have a failure though, onto the milling table, a little Lathe work, and I'll have a new piece ready  go into the cam cover. :)

Edited by Suzukian
syntax error
  • 2 months later...

I hope you guys will forgive me for this.

My sister had been very ill.  The doctor's said the medicine had stopped working and she needed a Heart and Lung transplant.  We prayed much on this, she was put on top of the list, and the first two times, she was almost opened up, surgically prepared, but the lungs failed.  On the third attempt, she was called in, this time stressed beyond all belief, she went in.  Everything worked out 100%!!!

My sister, 9 days following the surgery, walked 1 mile, unassisted, and has been waling a mile a day, every day, with her newly implanted donor lungs.  She told me she felt fantastic.  As a family, well feel blessed.  The young girl who passed, and checked that box that allowed her Lungs and Heart to be harvested, well, I just don't know the words.  I never will know this donor of her family, but in their time of grief, their daughters heart and lungs live on in one of the beautiful, spirit filled people you could ever meet.  I wish I could tell the donor family how thankful our family is, but that isn't allows.  This young lady checked the box, and allowed someone else to live.  I just find this whole experience hard to fathom.  My sister feels ever minute she has is a gift, and is doing everything so she can have a full life, for the time she has left.

This has occupied my time for the last few months.  I hope this post doesn't violate any forum rules.  I ask for nothing.  I just wanted to share some wonderful news.  ;)

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Suzukian said:

I hope you guys will forgive me for this.

My sister had been very ill.  The doctor's said the medicine had stopped working and she needed a Heart and Lung transplant.  We prayed much on this, she was put on top of the list, and the first two times, she was almost opened up, surgically prepared, but the lungs failed.  On the third attempt, she was called in, this time stressed beyond all belief, she went in.  Everything worked out 100%!!!

My sister, 9 days following the surgery, walked 1 mile, unassisted, and has been waling a mile a day, every day, with her newly implanted donor lungs.  She told me she felt fantastic.  As a family, well feel blessed.  The young girl who passed, and checked that box that allowed her Lungs and Heart to be harvested, well, I just don't know the words.  I never will know this donor of her family, but in their time of grief, their daughters heart and lungs live on in one of the beautiful, spirit filled people you could ever meet.  I wish I could tell the donor family how thankful our family is, but that isn't allows.  This young lady checked the box, and allowed someone else to live.  I just find this whole experience hard to fathom.  My sister feels ever minute she has is a gift, and is doing everything so she can have a full life, for the time she has left.

This has occupied my time for the last few months.  I hope this post doesn't violate any forum rules.  I ask for nothing.  I just wanted to share some wonderful news.  ;)

Glad she is getting better.

Hope for full recovery.

• Like 1