Taper roller head bearing question in early GS750

9 hours ago, paul1098 said:

The later (1981) GS with taper roller bearings as standard show a spacer between the bottom bearing and yoke in the parts list. Any idea if this is required when converting from the earlier ball bearings?

It would be advisable to include it as it limits the amount of 'crush' put on to the bearings - without it they can be over tightened and wear prematurely! Strictly speaking taper rollers are 'overkill' for steering head bearings - the old 'cup & ball' races are fine for the job just a tad fiddly come maintenance time!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

It would be advisable to include it as it limits the amount of 'crush' put on to the bearings - without it they can be over tightened and wear prematurely! Strictly speaking taper rollers are 'overkill' for steering head bearings - the old 'cup & ball' races are fine for the job just a tad fiddly come maintenance time!

I thought the 'crush' was applied via the slotted nut at the top. Wasn't sure whether the steering stem was too long to engage properly without washer.

Agree that taper is overkill but my races are worn & I'm struggling to buy a ball bearing kit. No outer top races anywhere & not much of anything else.

3 hours ago, wraith said:

Even some of the latter gsxr have gone back to ball bearing type for the head stocks 

I think most modern bikes have, but they are in captive races not individual balls you have to stick in a bed of grease when assembling.

• Like 1