GS850L into GS650G?

Hi, first post, and as I'm sure isn't too surprising it's a question.

I have a 1982 GS650G and in the fall of last year it had a hiccup that I'm concerned might be internal. The bike still runs but there is a "clicking" for lack of a better description. It also makes that noise when in neutral and being rolled. I have been toying with how to handle the issue and came across a parts 1982 GS850L. Are the frames different enough that I would be unable to swap in the 850 while I rebuild the original 650?

I will say apart from the noise I'm hearing the engine does seem to run on all 4.

"It also makes that noise when in neutral and being rolled"

Does the noise change with engine speed or vehicle speed?

It might not be the engine.  Don't go investing your time and money into an engine swap when it could be something else such as a drive-line issue.  Try putting the bike on the center-stand, in neutral, and rotate the rear wheel.  Does it still make the noise?  Work on locating where the noise is coming from.  It might be something like a bad universal joint in the drive shaft.  How upset would you be if you put out the time and resources into an engine swap and it turned out to be a bad u-joint or something else?  I've done that sort of thing and it's frustrating. 

So I didn't test it at speed, as I was concerned to make it worse. I do remember hearing it with the bike in neutral, and running on the center stand. It also made the noise when we offloaded it from the trailer and walked it to it's parked location. As of now I have the tank mostly drained, and the clutch discs out, the clutch was getting soft so I thought maybe one of the friction discs had come apart. I did consider the shaft as a possible issue the other day when I was thinking about the issue.

I just did this and it almost sounds like a bad bearing for the hub pinion. I checked the gear oil and it seems to be fairly fresh and it was real close to full.

I guess next step will be to pull the rear wheel to get the hub out. And then do a spin check on both the driveshaft and the hub. If it is the hub, where might in be able to find bearings for it? I have a Suzuki shop manual so I will probably rebuild it (with likely a Eblag replacement installed while I do) but parts seem to be a challenge on these bikes.

I know oldbikebarn has some basic wear parts like pads, and clutch discs, but I also know they don't have these bearings listed.

Again thanks for all the help here, basic items like carbs, and plugs I'm more than confident with, but deeper dives in this bike are still new territory for me.

Suzuki generally used common size metric bearings.  You should be able to find a four digit number on the bearing which will correspond to its size.  You can measure the bearing: inside diameter, outside diameter, thickness.  If it is a common size, finding one should be easy.  Your local auto parts store might have it, but you would need that four digit number.  

11 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

check out the price of the genuine bearings !!!!  but make sure you are sitting down first :/

DRIVESHAFT for Suzuki GS 650 1982 # SUZUKI MOTORCYCLES - Genuine Spare Parts Catalog (bike-parts-suz.com)

IIRC the big mother behind the crown gear is the spendy one and nigh on impossible to buy off the shelf as it has a locating pin in the outer race at 90 degrees to the bearing.

35 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

check out the price of the genuine bearings !!!!  but make sure you are sitting down first :/

DRIVESHAFT for Suzuki GS 650 1982 # SUZUKI MOTORCYCLES - Genuine Spare Parts Catalog (bike-parts-suz.com)

Yikes! The pinion bearings aren't cheap either, they cost just as much if buying both.  Which if you're gonna go in and do one makes no sense not to do both, I'll probably take a look at them for the sizes and look into replacements that aren't the direct OEM. My biggest concern honestly is the oil seals. 

1 hour ago, wraith said:

Try Robinson's Foundry.

Oss also get 10% off (y) best place in the UK I know for OEM parts

In the U.S. but I'll bookmark them for future checks.

56 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

I think a second hand shaft will be the way to go O.o  

Yeah if I'm confident that it is the final drive hub once I remove it I will probably go through Eblag (not sure how it keeps typing that as Eblag) for a used one and rebuild this as a spare.

Edited by Gs650GNY
Spelling of Eblag.

I just took a quick look on the Bay.  Lots of GS650 final drive gear hub assemblies from US sellers at reasonable prices.  Even if you can find the bearing from a non-Suzuki source for a lower price, there is your time and effort to change out the bearing.  You also run the risk of damaging the assembly while removing and installing the bearing.  Much quicker and easier to swap out the assembly.  Make sure to drain and replace the gear oil.