89 alternator on an 88 engine?

manden

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the 28teeth will be better because of the lower revs. I installed the 28teeth in it with no problems. It is also smaller and lighter. There are no numbers on the 26teeth an I suspect it from being a bandit unit, but I don't know for sure.

How did the 28 tooth cog fit?? Its bigger diameter than the 26 tooth one, so will not mesh with the drive grear on the back of the clutch juts bend it and break it???  

Unless the problem with the alternator not working is that the 26 tooth cog was not engaing with the drive gear on the clutch, not turning and not charging.

The 88 1100 should have 28 teeth.???

part number for the gear on a 1100 86-88  G,H,J 

22730-06B02

GEAR, GENERATOR DRIVEN (NT:28

1989 1100K 

22730-06B03

GGEAR, GENERATOR DRIVEN (NT:28

• Like 1

What clutch does the recipient engine have then? If you remove the cover to investigate it's also much easier to re-fit the alternator correctly. A clutch cover gasket is a lot cheaper than a broken gear and if you have parts in good condition (no deep scores in the mating faces) smearing the gasket with copperslip enables re-use without leakage :).

• Like 1