GSXR1100L possible CDI fault?

Hi all, long term lurker but first time poster.

Took my standard GSXR1100L out today, the nature of the bike and the fact it’s my every day road bike means it rarely gets revved hard however I went for an overtake in second earlier on a slow moving car and it misfired but it felt really rough, not like hitting the limiter. Did some experiments and found that it’s misfiring at about 9 to 9.5k, which is accompanied by the tacho bouncing around like its signal is also braking down. I’m thinking CDI failure. Below this the bike rides perfectly, wiring harness was new last year, bike runs dyna mini coils. Tested the charging rate and it’s hard capped at 14.68V regardless of revs so I don’t think that’s an issue. Any input would be appreciated, I know the black boxes are 30+ years old now so failure wouldn’t be entirely surprising, however the couple of failures I’ve seen previously gave total loss of spark or loss of spark on one output (I.e. 1-3 or 2-4 dead). The tacho going mad leaves me pretty sure it’s electrical.

1 hour ago, dupersunc said:

Coil breaking down.

Dyna Mini's don't have much of a reputation for dying! Is the misfire repeatable when engine is cold, warm and hot? A CDI swap would be useful if you have one - I have one somewhere off a K/L 1127 engine, not been used for at least 20yrs. PM me if you want to try with some details . . . . have to find it first though LOL!

PS. UK for location isn't a great deal of help when looking for help!

Edited by Gixer1460
2 hours ago, Bluex5 said:

Hi all, long term lurker but first time poster.

Took my standard GSXR1100L out today, the nature of the bike and the fact it’s my every day road bike means it rarely gets revved hard however I went for an overtake in second earlier on a slow moving car and it misfired but it felt really rough, not like hitting the limiter. Did some experiments and found that it’s misfiring at about 9 to 9.5k, which is accompanied by the tacho bouncing around like its signal is also braking down. I’m thinking CDI failure. Below this the bike rides perfectly, wiring harness was new last year, bike runs dyna mini coils. Tested the charging rate and it’s hard capped at 14.68V regardless of revs so I don’t think that’s an issue. Any input would be appreciated, I know the black boxes are 30+ years old now so failure wouldn’t be entirely surprising, however the couple of failures I’ve seen previously gave total loss of spark or loss of spark on one output (I.e. 1-3 or 2-4 dead). The tacho going mad leaves me pretty sure it’s electrical.

Had pretty much same thing with my race bike once, dropped off 2 cylinders at about 9k. Was the cdi.

If its at exactly same rpm its likely to be cdi, if it varies a bit then could be coil or pickup breaking down