6" wheel in a slabby

I have  6" 1st generation Busa wheel and I'm contemplating puting it into a Slabby I'm building. I don't have the frame and swing arm here yet so I ask the question in advance: What are going to be my major challenges here ( spacers and spindle issues aside)

chain run on the frame? Tyre clearance on the swingarm? Caliper position? All of the above?

i've read that the 5.5" wheel is an easier option and a 6" wheel is a major ball ache. So what's the score?

Naturally try and use a busa wheel that has the under slung caliper to re-use the brake torsion bar if thats your choosing.

I re-used the original Rear Caliper and had a modified arm made (painted red in pic)  to get round the wider wheel.

vdihsi.jpg

Also, you will need to change out the inner wheel bearings, and have a couple of spacers made for the wheel carrier, different as the rear axle spindle is smaller.

Here are a few shots to help you with your decision KM. This is a 5.5 in an extended JMC swingarm that can accept the Busa wheel, but I chose not to instead using parts I had around the house from previous late model , 2008 and upward builds.

I used the 525 link chain as the 530 kept grinding off the inside of the clutch hydraulic cylinder in the primary sprocket cover, plus it gave a wider range of choices in sprocket sizes front and rear. Ive got a 15 / 45 combo currently but will change the rear to a 41 in good time.

el402u.jpg

156g135.jpg

iejqfn.jpg

The spacers will be off set on either side of the rear wheel, and you may have to have a shim spacer made between the caliper and bearing to the right hand side to stop the two parts binding up when you tighten the axle nut to secure everything in place.

2ir3ixd.jpg

2emmlhx.jpg

2m5j8y8.jpg

Make sure to get the rear caliper 'exactly' centered around the rotor, or you will find yourself with issues. Bent rotor, offset brake pull, dragging etc. I discovered this little nugget when working on the front end, and it destroyed 2 perfectly good rotors - able to speak from experience on that one :)

But '01-'05 Bandit 1200 fits for sure. ONLY mod required is cutting a new .550" spacer to go between the wheel bearing and caliper hanger - if you dont want the ball ache - lolz :)

If I can be of any more help, just ask away :)

Edited by Scara
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Me as well, me as well !

Ive just picked up a Srad 750 rear wheel & I'm looking to put it in a standard 1100 H swing-arm.

Stuff like, which calliper hanger, the original pivots around the spindle, the Srad torque arm is fixed to the arm.

What's it like clearance wise on the chain, ive got a 170 on a 5.5 rim & its ok, a 180 would be close, real close, bigger rim , more tyre spread.

Any help in advance would real helpful

• 1 month later...