EFE shock

Not sure about the actual shock, but in an attempt to save money I tried to make one good one from two. After a lot of cleaning,  I was able to restore the function of the remote preload adjuster - the hydraulic hose on one had leaked and wouldn't adjust. 

On the remote damper adjustment end, I cleaned and lubed the cable. 

With everything reassembled it seemed good. I gave the dials one last test before reinstalling. Something on the damper adjusment got stuck then oil pissed out of the shock. 

That was the end of that.

1587295710574_IMG-3046.JPG

Edited by Dorkburger
  • Like 2

It was also part science experiment. When the manual says "non serviceable" and it's already no good, it's time to explore....I ended up using a Ducati M900 shock. I read somewhere that it was a bolt in and to use the 1150 spring as the Ducati one would be too stiff. I had to mount it upside down... seems good though. Far better then the dead original. 

..... when I bought my first efe in 1985 it had less than 12k on it..... the suspension was on the soft side and the adjustments never realy did much ...... so I highly doubt any type of rebuild will put it in a sport bike style handling class.....so basically they are crap even in new conditon .