Carbs questions

5 hours ago, BigT said:

You bench sync as a part of the cleaning, then vacuum sync on the bike

There is only 1 vacuum port on the carbs, top front of #2, any other port is a bowl vent

That doesn't make any sense - if there is only 1 vac. port how would you vac. sync them? Usually all carbs will have vac. port for sync use that MUST be capped when bike is in use! Fuel tap vacuum is usually via inlet boot nipple which again shouldn't be left open if gas tap is changed to non vacuum!

14 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

That doesn't make any sense - if there is only 1 vac. port how would you vac. sync them? Usually all carbs will have vac. port for sync use that MUST be capped when bike is in use! Fuel tap vacuum is usually via inlet boot nipple which again shouldn't be left open if gas tap is changed to non vacuum!

You're just mixing terms compared to me. Agreed, but the vacuum port on the carbs is on the front of #2

The sync ports are on the intake manifolds, not the carbs. And, yes, they do provide vacuum to the sync tool

Edited by BigT
  • 2 weeks later...

If the carbs flood on prime then they aren't shutting off on the floats - they may be clean, but if they leak, they ain't no good. I assume this is a vacuum fuel tap - one large hose is fuel delivery and the smaller one usually goes to a spigot on an inlet rubber or similar vacuum source?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Franklin said:

The other hose plugs into the front of the carbs to the backside of the fuelcock.

Thats the bit I don't understand? Maybe its definitions - for me, front of carb is air inlet side / back side is engine side. The vac pipe should be engine side or it won't see vacuum.

Edited by Gixer1460
13 hours ago, Franklin said:

Well I was messing around at it, tipped the bike on its side, changed the petcock to prime and it fully flooded the carbs and started leaking fuel out. If i leave it on prime it leaks fuel everywhere but it runs. Maybe the petcock needs to be swapped out or something. It only runs on prime on the petcock and even then it’s troublesome to get going. But at least it actually does run. Just has carb problems 

In this line i read two issues;

1 - your pet cock doesn't work on "ON" - likely the vacuum port doesn't open the tap.

2 - it is flooding on prime; your floats are leaking.

But you already got that.

• Like 1