Rear wheel won’t fit after fitting new bearings?

Jpich85

I just got my swingarm back from the powder coaters and thought all would go smoothly refitting it but after installing the new rear wheel bearings I couldn’t fit it back in to the swingarm once I fitted the stainless steel chain adjuster things, it just about fits on its own but then I need a few more mm to fit the chain adjusters, I wanted to ask if there was anything I could check on the bearings as in I might not of pressed them in correctly? I pressed the sprocket side in as far as it would go then pressed the rotor side in enough just to touch the spacer that sits in between the two bearings in the wheel, I know I may of added a few mm or so with the powder coat but not that much, before I skim things I just wanted to ask if there was a sequence to installing the rear wheel bearings?

cheers

I had both the wheel and swingarm powdercoated on my 750L, and fitted new bearings obv., and absolutely no problems putting the wheel in. Suspect a good bike-specific powdercoaters would mask off any bearing surfaces anyway, or you'd have sod all chance of getting the bearings in. Would be surprised if the swingarm was such a tight fit as stock that powercoat would affect things so seriously. Something's not right.

Thanks guys, yeah something isn’t right but I don’t know what, unfortunately I can’t get to the bike atm to get any pics but the blokes pretty good and did mask up the bearing areas, I wanted to check tho the installation of the rear wheel bearings? Is there a certain side that has to be pressed right I’m so it bottoms out and then the other side is just pressed in until it’s slightly touching the wheel spacer? Or wouldn’t it make any difference? There’s a tiny bit of play in the spacer between the sprocket hub and wheel? Is that normal or should it be all super tight

brake disc side bearing has to go in first, till it bottoms out. Then the sprocket side bearing.

With the bearings installed, you should be able to move the spacer around a bit. When tightened up the spacer should be tight.

Easiest way to check if it's ok: try to turn the bearings in different directions at the same time, should be easy. Now try while applying axial force on the bearings (push them together), should be hard.

Thanks I’ve ordered some new bearings just incase it was then but I’m pretty sure they are correct but I think I installed the sprocket side bearing first so I might of pressed that in too far maybe, I’ve cleaned away the coating from inside of the swingarm where the chain adjusters go and off the surface I’ve the caliper bracket, not sure if that’s helped but I’ll check when the bearings turn up, other than that I thought maybe the swingarm might of pulled in a bit from welding the brace on but it’s pretty hefty so I’m hoping that’s not the case