Springs and tings

So it's about time I got on here and utilised the hive mind I will be doing a build thread on the gsxr turbo but for now I need some suspension assistance. 

GSXR 1100 K framed drag bike. Running a gsxr 600 SRAD arm Currently feels like a bowl of jelly on rollerskates as the rear standard shock is tatered. What are the known shock upgrades of choice so I can go for a little more adjustment? Or has anyone had any success with upgraded branded shocks on a budget? 

IMG_20190502_145102.jpg

I guess £350-400 from Hagon, maybe a touch less. could spend double that with Maxton depending on how fancy you want to get.

They need the motion ratio. The difference between the wheel movement and the damper stroke.

Support the bike on axles stands on the foot pegs at ride height,then remove the rear shock.  Get some 5mm ply wood and chop it into 15 10cm square blocks.

Measure the distance between the top shock mount and the damper mount on the linkage. put one of the 5mm blocks under the rear wheel and 're measure again the distance between shock mounts. Add another 5mm block under the wheel and repeat.

You'll end up with 15 measurements for each 5mm of wheel movement.

You'll also need to give the shock manufacturer the weight of the bike on the rear wheel. Use a set of bathroom scales for this. Plus the rear unsprung weight. Again bathroom scales under the rear wheel with the bike supported and the rear shock removed.

Edited by dupersunc
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 5/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, dupersunc said:

I guess £350-400 from Hagon, maybe a touch less. could spend double that with Maxton depending on how fancy you want to get.

They need the motion ratio. The difference between the wheel movement and the damper stroke.

Support the bike on axles stands on the foot pegs at ride height,then remove the rear shock.  Get some 5mm ply wood and chop it into 15 10cm square blocks.

Measure the distance between the top shock mount and the damper mount on the linkage. put one of the 5mm blocks under the rear wheel and 're measure again the distance between shock mounts. Add another 5mm block under the wheel and repeat.

You'll end up with 15 measurements for each 5mm of wheel movement.

You'll also need to give the shock manufacturer the weight of the bike on the rear wheel. Use a set of bathroom scales for this. Plus the rear unsprung weight. Again bathroom scales under the rear wheel with the bike supported and the rear shock removed.

Following on from this turns out i can deal hagon through work so good chance of a little discount  weekend job in the shed is to get measuring thanks for the indepth advice :pimp:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still no word from hagon. Little cheesed off I've bought another slingshot shock with remote res. Turns out a friend has bought all the gear to service and rebuild all forms of suspension Inc fitting new bladders dampers etc etc. Gonna see how we can get on with that as a stop gap before getting a proper fit for purpose custom shock. Screenshot_20190925_110218.thumb.jpg.f93a7698930a33f1c4159d409ba9bb53.jpg

• 1 month later...